019

"it's great to have the both of you over. i didn't know that yeona was actually american." mark's dad says, as all of us sit down.

"i guess over the years, she's grown more accustomed to the korean culture." dad says, giving him a smile. i silently ate, not wanting to intrude into their conversation.

i ate a little less than what i usually would. i didn't want to seem greedy or rude, since we were guests after all.

"yeona, you're eating very little." jinyoung whispers from beside me, furrowing his eyebrows. "a-ah.. oppa, i'm not that hungry." i said, giving him a smile.

i get a light kick, under the table. i look up to see mark, casually eating his food.

"why not? we haven't eaten since breakfast." he asks. "i drank a lot of water today, i guess it filled me up." i said.

"yeona. try this. dad would make it a lot when i was a kid." mark says, picking up two drumsticks of paprika spiced chicken, that smelled extremely aromatic.

"oh! have some of this too, yeona. i tried making homemade kimchi so all of you had something you were more familiar with, to remind you of korea." mark's mom says, adding a serving of kimchi to my plate.

"a-ah.. thank you auntie." i said, bowing slightly. mark places the chicken unto my plate, mouthing for me to eat.

"hyung really cares for you, yeona." jinyoung whispers as he hides his smile, with his hand, acting like he was chewing.

"does he?" i questioned, as i carefully separated the meat from the drumstick, and put it into my mouth with a spoonful of rice.

"it's extremely obvious." he says with a chuckle. "even his parents have probably noticed that."

••••••

dinner went surprisingly well. dad and jongin left early to avoid traffic. and some of the boys had already finished their food.

"i'll help clean up, auntie." i said, standing up as i cleared the boys' plates. "aigoo.. thank you, yeona. you don't have to." she says with a smile as she slowly scrapes whatever is left on the plates, into the bin.

"i don't mind, auntie. it's the least i can do." i said, offering her a smile as well.

"alright boys, go ahead and watch some tv." she says, dismissing the others.

after the boys left, it was just her and i in the kitchen, cleaning up.

"yeona.. if you don't mind me asking, do you like my son?" she asks, as she wipes the table. "w-why do you ask that, auntie?" she lets out a laugh at my response.

"i'm a mother, i'm not blind, yeona. i can see how much the both of you care for each other. even on television." she says with a sincere smile.

"mark's a great guy." i stated, leaving it at that. "yes.. of course he is. he always has been too nice." auntie says, with a slight hint of sadness in her voice that was mixed with pity.

"but this of course.. put him in situations of heartbreak. he has loved, like many teenagers. and his story, isn't the most perfect." she says with a sigh.

"yeona.. do me a favour please?" she asks. i nod, listening as i scrubbed the plates and rinsed them after.

"take care of my son. he's loved girls who are unworthy. but i can tell.. that you're the one who truly deserves him." she says as she begins tearing up.

my heart aches as i saw her like this, as i turned around.

"he's not to most attentive when it comes to socialising. he's not the funniest. he's not the smartest either." she says, letting a few chuckles escape her lips.

"but, he has a good heart. i know that he will love you, till your last breath. i know that he's already in love with you." she says with a smile as a tear falls from her eyes.

i dry my hands, going over to give her a hug.

"you don't have to worry, mrs tuan." i said as i shut my eyes once she wrapped her arms around me as well.

"i think i'm in love with your son too."

there was a moment of silence before something was said again.

"that's a relief."

i immediately pulled away, opening my eyes as mark's mom turned around as well, facing the direction that i was facing.

i saw mark, smiling as he shyly looks down to his feet before looking back up to me, scratching behind his neck.