Dead End

ZAHID'S POINT OF VIEW:

My father returned after a 2-days trip. He called for mine and my mother's presence.

By the expression on his face, I knew that whatever he had to discuss was something very critical. I glanced towards my mother and she just shrugged indicating that she was as unaware of the situation as I was.

We sat there in utter silence while my father paced down the hall in deep thoughts. I heard him taking a deep, decisive breath. He came and sat on the sofa near me. 

"I want you to marry Saniya." He blurted out.

"What?" I and my mother shrieked in unison.

"Look, son, I know it's a very difficult decision for you. Probably the toughest you have ever faced in your entire life.  But I need you to trust me. I will do only what is best for my children." He chanted a perfectly memorized script.

"No way, Abbu! Saniya is my brother's fiance. I have ever looked up to her as my sister all my life. And we all know how deeply Ryan loves her. How can you even think of marrying me to her? And you say it's in our best interest?" I screamed.

"I know where you are coming from, son. But right now, this is the only thing that can be done. Try to understand."

"Why don't you call Ryan here and ask him to marry her? We all know how willing he will be to do it!"

"You think I didn't try that? But that would mean your brother would lose all that he had built all his life. He cannot come to India for another year. And a year is too much for Saniya right now."

"Then let her wait for one year. They have waited from 15 years already. Why is another year too much?" I demanded.

"Either you marry Saniya, or I divorce your mother right this instant." Abbu screamed.

I froze! I looked at my mother and she mirrored my expression.

"W-wh-what... what did you say?" I whispered.

"You heard me, son. You heard me. And you know I mean what I say.", He spat.

"H-how can you do that?"... that was my mother. I knew it took her life just to breath one word right now.

Abbu glanced at her. I thought I saw something soften in his eyes for a second. Just for a second. No, It was just my imagination. The man standing in front of me was not at all the man I had idealized my whole life.

"Ask that to your son. It's all in his hands now." And he left.

Suddenly, My mother fell down. Like a lifeless, rag doll. Just one look at her pale face was all it took for me to take the dreaded decision.

 It was either my life or my mother's now...