Daily Routine

Life wasn't easy for Saniya at the new house. Her mother-in-law was being especially difficult with her. She would order her around all day and gave her insane amount of household work. She had even fired the maid saying that it was a waste of money. 

Saniya was expected to be up and about before anyone in the family and prepare the breakfast by 7 am. The house was supposed to be swept, the utensils were to be washed and the kitchen was to be cleaned before the cooking was done. The remaining chores, like washing clothes, dusting the furniture, television, computer, etc. , mopping the house, cleaning the verandah and backyard, watering the plants, etc. were to be completed by 11 am. The lunch was to be ready by 1 pm and dinner be served by 8 pm. Then, there was tea and snacks time around 5 pm. Moreover, there arrived several guests and she was supposed to serve them without disturbing the daily work.

Saniya had little issue with all that since she had been doing the same since her childhood, their family being unable to afford help. Her father would be out before sunrise and mother had her hands full with her job of stitching and embroidering clothes for people. But the burden was a lot lesser as they were a family of three and her mother never failed to help her every now and then. But here, everything was to be done by her alone and by the time she went to bed, she was dead tired.

The first 1-2 months were very difficult for her. But she later got accustomed to it all and managed her time very gracefully.

She had the habit of waking up at 3 am. She would freshen up, pray and then recite the Qur'an for about an hour or two. It gave her a peace of mind and the stamina to move on with the life. She often read the Qur'an with its translation which guided her through the most difficult of times. Sometimes, she just sat on the prayer mat with closed eyes and reflect on her life. She loved doing that. 

Then, she would pray Fajr Salah (the dawn prayer), take a bath and begin her work. She would first clean and wash the kitchen. She never went to bed without having washed the utensils, so there were hardly any dirty ones in the morning. After cleaning the kitchen, she would prepare things for breakfast. Sometimes, she would keep things on the stove, and by the time they got cooked, she would start sweeping the house. She often set a timer on her phone so as not to get distracted. 

Everyone in the house was an early riser; which was a commendable thing. Almost everyone woke up on time for the Fajr prayer but hardly left their rooms, till they were totally ready to go out. 

By 7 am, everyone will have had his breakfast and would be ready to set off to their college (Aliya) or work. 

She would then set to do the remaining work and cook lunch and dinner simultaneously. Aliya used to carry her lunch with her. The men would either come home on lunch or send someone to collect it. She would then set to wash up the dishes and clean the dishes. She usually got free from all the household chores by 2 pm.

She would then take a short nap after Zuhr Salah (afternoon prayer). She had the habit of reading something in her free time, instead of watching T.V. The rest of the day would pass in a blur, with her having to prepare snacks and tea occasionally.

The family preferred to have some chapatis and rice for dinner. So she would be in the kitchen again after Maghrib Salah (prayer performed just after sunset), to start preparing for dinner.

After dinner, she would again wash the dishes, pray Isha (night time prayer) and go to bed. She usually listened to some Naat (Islamic poetry in praise of Prophet Muhammed (May Peace be upon him) or Hamd (Islamic poetry in praise of Allah), usually by her favorite singer, Junaid Jamshed; until she drifted to sleep. Sometimes, she preferred reading some book till sleep overtook her.