Standing on her own feet

"Beta! This is your house. You can do whatever you want. Don't worry, I will always support you.", Mamu said lovingly and patted her head before leaving when she asked for his permission to apply for a teacher's job or take home tuitions.

At first, he had thought that she felt out of place in their house and wanted a job so that she didn't feel like a freeloader. It took some time for her to convince him that she always had the passion to teach. She had taken a course in Education (Bachelor of Education) after graduating with Physics.

What she could not reveal was that Mamu's reasoning wasn't completely off the mark.

She began going through the job advertisements in newspapers as well as online.

She made her resume and applied to a few institutions. She couldn't make up her mind whether she to teach pre-matric students or Intermediate (+1 & +2) students. Both options had their own pros and cons.

If she worked with younger students, she could help in doing their groundwork. It would be less strenuous for her and easier to handle. But the pay would be less.

On the other hand, teaching Intermediate students would be more challenging and would require her to hone her skills well as these students would be preparing for various entrance examinations. They would need extra help in problem solving and a deeper knowledge of the subject. But the salary of an intermediate lecturer is high, especially that of a physics lecturer.

She applied for both the posts and decided to wait for fate to make its decision.

A couple of days later, she got an interview call from them and she decided to exercise all her options.

The college she was most interested in, didn't call her until the next week. It was a reputed college which gave special coaching to aspiring doctors (I.e. prepare students to take various medical entrance tests).

She had attended other interviews but had kept them on hold.

Now when this college, MC, called, she couldn't contain her nerves.

She went out of her way to prepare for the interview and the demo classes. She bought the intermediate text books, referred to the chosen topic and tried to solve a few problems, as well as make a list of the important formulae.

She had 4 days before she was to appear for the interview.

She prayed a lot and hoped for the best. She talked to her mom and biji, seeking their blessings and encouragement.

These 4 days were perhaps the longest days of her life...