Ryanees

Ryan's POV:-

I sat in the lobby cradling my head in my hands. The scene I witnessed just now was playing over and over in my mind. I felt like someone pierced a dagger in my heart. I was bleeding...

I felt a warm hand on my shoulder and then the presence of them sitting beside me. I could recognise that person even if I was in coma.

"She doesn't love me. I have loved her and only her all my life. How can she fall in love with my brother? And Zahid! He knew how much I loved her since childhood. He was the one who convinced Ammi to propose Saniya for me. He was the one who arranged for our engagement.. How can he fall for her now? How? I am betrayed by two people I love the most.. at a time...", and he started to cry.

"Love knows no boundaries, Ryan. It's not in our hands. We do not choose whom to love. Love choses us. And Ryan, they are husband and wife now. Allah Himself puts love between a married couple. It wasn't their choice. She's not your fiance now. Zahid fell in love with his wife, not your fiance. The sooner you accept that, the sooner your pain will lessen. They were meant for each other. Accept it. Accept Allah's decision.", she explained.

He raised his head and.. for the first time, looked at her.. like... really looked at her. He wasn't unaware that she had harboured feelings for him since long. He hadn't missed the longing in her eyes when she looked at him. He hadn't missed the pain and the fakeness of smile she sported whenever he talked to her about Saniya or discuss his plans for the marriage. He hadn't missed how awkwardly she changed the topic when he asked her why she rejected all the marriage proposals she got. hadn't missed anything. He had just ignored it. Maybe because he couldn't reciprocate them, or because he was blinded by his love for Saniya, or because... he didn't want to lose her...

How could he be so blind? He was so lost in chasing something all his life, that he never valued what he already had. His vision was so fixated on the distant gains, that he overlooked the happiness and love within his grasp.

"Is that how you always deal with this pain, Anees?", he asked.

"What?"

"When I ran behind Saniya and sang her praises before you.. Is that how you helped yourself?"

"I don't know what you mean.", she said, looking away.

"I know... I know that you love me, Anees. I have known for long."

She suddenly stood up. "I just remembered something I have to do. Will see you later, InshaAllah."

She was  about to leave when Ryan held her hand and asked, "Will you marry me, Anu?"

She froze.

"I know that you deserve someone much better than me, but... Please Anu.. I need you. I have always leant onto you. I will need you at every stage of my life. You are the only one who really understands me. I will crumble without you. Today, I realised that I can bear to lose anything but you. Please... please marry me.", he begged.

"Hmm.. Seriously? Can't you do anything without me?", she chirped.

"Huff! Really.. I don't think anyone can put up with a good-for-nothing such as you. I am doing all the women of the world a big favour. You better treat me well, do you get it?", she challenged him, pointing a finger.

"Yes My Lady!", he bowed and kissed the dorsum of her hand.

She blushed and ran away...