An old Angel

There was utter silence around her. Then, slowly and steadily, noise started to rise in her vicinity; just like a plant grows in a time - lapse movie. It was first a clutter and incomprehensible sound, then she began to differentiate between the voices and understand them. There were 2-3 females, perhaps.

SANIYA

"She's awake.", someone said.
"Oh, Hello! Assalamualaikum! Are you alright?", a grand lady with an angelic face said in a soothing voice. Her voice seemed to caress her chaotic mind and relax her.

Some seconds passed before I could process her response and replied, "Ah, Waalaikumsalam Aunty! I am fine now, thank you!"

I was now fully aware of the situation I was in. I began to take in my surroundings.

I was lying in a small room with nothing other than a single bed and a small cupboard with a mirror stuck on its doors. The room had creamy walls with a hint of chocolate-brown at the edges and ceilings. It was a simple yet elegant room. No false ceilings, no paintings or show-pieces, no ornamentation; yet, it was tidy and beautiful in its own way.

There was an old lady sitting on her bedside. Two other young women were standing nearby and watching her with a soft gaze.

One of them was taller than the other, with wheatish complexion and hair that reached her lower back. Her hair were neatly plaited.

The other young lady was shorter, leaner than the other one, fairer in complexion and had brownish hair that reached half the length of her back, which were held together in a low ponytail.

The old lady, on the other hand was petite, chubby, with milky complexion and smooth, flawless skin which seemed to have creamy texture. She was claded in white overalls and her head too was wrapped in a white dupatta. Some heavenly light seemed to be radiating from her. Her eyes held such gleam and warmth, that Saniya felt herself being drawn deep inside them and teleported to a world of peace and tranquillity.

"Ahem", someone cleared her throat.
"I am sorry. I was trying to figure out my whereabouts.", I said, slightly embarrassed, when I realised I was staring at the granny.

"It's okay. Do you remember what happened to you?", one of the young ladies asked.

"Umm.. I was running on the.. umm streets and... and then.. I... I.. I don't know...", I said, feeling dejected.

"Yeah! You were running on the roads. And you got hit by my car. Many people tried to wake you up, but you wouldn't budge. You had no phone or purse or anything on you which would help us to contact your family, so I brought you to my house. A doctor had checked up on you sometime ago. He said you were just stressed, tired and maybe shocked. You have no injuries, internal or external. But he couldn't be sure till you woke up. He prescribed you some analgesics and advised you to consult a physician in case you feel something wrong.", granny explained in detail.

"Thank you very much. May Allah reward you in plenty. And, I must apologise for the inconvenience I caused you. I am alright now and.. I guess I must leave for home.", I said, while trying to sit up slowly.

"You're welcome. By the way, where were you headed in such a hurry? Was there some medical emergency?", the shorter lady said.

My face flushed when I recalled the happenings of the day and what I was running from. Several emotions danced in my eyes till I found herself falling into dark pits... again...

"Are you okay?", someone said, when I was silent for too long a moment.

"Um, no.. I mean yes, Alhamdulillah! And no there was no emergency. I was just... I.. I was...", I was at loss for words.

"It's alright. Relax. And, do you know the way back home?", the old lady filled in quickly, noticing her discomfort.

"Uhh.. no I just know my address. In Sha Allah, I will make it home somehow.", I blushed.

"That's alright. I will get you an auto later. It's raining heavily out there. I would advise you to stay here for a while. You can use my phone to contact your family and maybe someone will pick you up?", it was the taller one.

I thanked the ladies and took up on their offer of lending me a phone. Thankfully, I had memorised a few numbers. I rang at home and lied that I was out for an evening walk, when I lost track of time and wandered further than I intended. Due to the heavy rain, I had to take refuge in an old lady's home. Since it was my uncle who received the phone, the whole ordeal went a lot easily. He promised to send one of the drivers to pick me up, once the rain ceases.

The old lady wanted me to call her 'Bi Ji'. She introduced the two young ladies as her daughters in law. They both were newly married and had no kids yet. Her sons were at work.

All four of us sat there talking over a cup of coffee and some homemade snacks.

The three women were so sweet that I could not help but feel at home with them.

Soon the younger ones took leave to prepare for dinner and I was left in the warm company of BiJi.

BiJi was so empathetic that I found myself opening up to her in no time.