The Blow

Zahid has never paid her any attention since they were married. In fact, no one did. Aliya was her only friend in the house.

Saniya tried to be a good wife and do Zahid's chores on time. If he had noticed it, he never mentioned, let alone thank her!

She felt something drawing her towards Zahid.

Even though he never gave her anything but orders and disgusting looks, she couldn't stop herself from thinking about him every day, every moment. She couldn't stop herself from caring for him.

She always kept track of when he left the house and when he returned.

Since she came into the family, Zahid hardly ever ate along with everyone. He was always angry and moody. He was like that stiff rod which would snap any moment, and he did snap a lot.

She wasn't allowed into his room, at least, when he was in there. She would usually clean and arrange it all when he was out of the house and he was out almost whole day.

One day, she noticed that Zahid had not left his room since morning. He never came for breakfast and it was almost lunch time now. Aliya was at her college and there was no one she could ask about him.

She trodded towards his room with a throbbing heart and wriggling hands.

As she neared his room, she heard some coughing sounds. She knocked on the door a few times when she didn't get an answer, she opened the door slightly and peeped inside. 

She found him lying on his bed, wrapped up in blankets and coughing. She ran to him and felt his forehead. It was burning with fever. "What are you doing here?", he said between coughs. Her fear of him was now masked with worry.

He was shivering with cold.

She covered him with a few more blankets and ran downstairs.

There was no one at the house at that time.

She prepared some soup for him and some coffee. She then took some cold water, a few napkins and ran to his room. Her whole day was spent looking after Zahid. When he had finally gone to sleep, she went and did her work in record time.

In the evening, when her Mother-in-law came home, she tried to inform her about Zahid's condition. But as soon as his name left her lips, her mother-in-law roared in anger. "How dare you take my son's name with your dirty mouth? I have never accepted you as his wife and neither did he. You bitch! You have spoiled my life. You seduced one of my sons and when you thought he was slipping from your claws, you attacked my other son! But I won't let you hurt my children anymore!  I dare you to get close to my son and you will face my wrath."

She was startled at first. She knew her mom-in-law didn't approve of this marriage but never knew she held so much venom in her heart for her. She couldn't understand why she said what she said. It felt like she had been wanting to say all this since forever.

When the lady stomped into her room, Saniya knew that she didn't plan to come out anytime soon. She decided to ignore her warning for now and take care of her husband. She couldn't leave him alone right now.

With a sinking heart, she quietly went upstairs with a tray of porridge to check on him. He was sitting on his bed and staring at the computer screen with tired eyes and still covered in a blanket. He looked up when she entered the room.

"Why are you here again?", he demanded. She gulped down her fear and went closer to him. Without saying anything, she took the thermometer and cleaned it before attempting to place it in his mouth.

He denied. "I don't need your concern. Leave me alone. I can take care of myself. Just leave.", he roared in a weak voice.

She was already at her limit. "Stop it! Stop behaving like a kid. Stop behaving like I did something wrong to you. I know you don't consider me your wife. Hell! You don't consider me anything. But I just can't leave you alone in this condition. That is not what my mother taught me. All these months I have been here, you treated me like your servant. Consider me the same and let me do what I ought to do. Don't make things difficult for the both of us.", she said in a strained voice, attempting to keep it low.

"It was you who brought this upon yourself. You, and your mother. You deserve it all and you deserve worse. I don't know what you and your mother fed my dad's ears with. But I am not my father! I won't be wrapped around your pinky finger.", his voice was hoarse and pained but his eyes shone red with fury and hatred.

She took a step back as he continued, "I never knew you people were so low. Did you think my brother would abandon you for another woman because he didn't contact you all these years while you were betrothed to him? Did it make you insecure that you would lose a chance to get a man with a fat wallet? Is that the reason that you bribed my father into marrying me? You never give up, do you?  Your mother is the same, isn't she? Within less than a year of her husband's death, she managed to seduce a rich man into marrying her.  Like mother, like daughter!I wonder how she lived all these years with a poor man. Of course, a bitch will beget a bi...." *slap* *slap*  Before he could say further, Saniya lost control and slapped him once, twice... "How dare you? How dare you say that about my mother? Who do you think of yourself! Low? Who's low? Do you want to know who's low? Look into the mirror. You will find the lowliest man on earth!", She chewed every word and stomped outside. 

Hot tears running down her face. Hands trembling with fury, Her temple pounding with a racing pulse.... She stomped towards her room and into the bathroom and slammed the door shut. "How dare he? How dare he say that about my mother? How dare he say that about us? What does he think of himself? How dare he judge us without knowing anything? How low can he get... how?... aaargh... " She splashed water on her face, went into her room and emptied a liter bottle in a single gulp. She started pacing in the room, she sat down, she tried to lie down, then again got up and started pacing down the room like a wounded lioness... Zahid's words ringing in her ears and his mother's venomous threats... She couldn't calm herself down. She felt her head bursting with fury. She went to her cupboard, grabbed her cloak and a veil, covered up herself and marched out of the room and out of the house....