Zahiniya

The whole day passed and a dark night enveloped the world in its cloak.

A similar eerie darkness had befallen the Jabbar family.

Zahid had not returned home, yet and Saniya was going insane with worry. She kept pacing up and down the length of her room, with her eyes fixated on the gate, or praying Nawafil and other supplications begging Allah to protect her husband (and their marriage). She had cried so much that her eyes had swollen and she looked sick.

It was another stormy night. The heavens seemed to be crying and howling at her misery. At a normal day, she would have wrapped herself in a blanket or in the warm embrace of a beloved to escape the fear, but today, the lightening that had struck her life had made her numb to any external threats. Though, she was worried hell about Zahid's safety. She had tried calling him soon after he'd left, but he didn't receive it. Many a calls had gone in vain before his phone was either 'out of reach' or 'switched off'. It was ironic how this defines the state of her happiness as well!

Just before the drawn broke, Zahid entered the home using his spare key and bolted to his room directly. She had noticed how drenched he was. She ran to the kitchen and made a cup of coffe for him, poured it in a flask and prepared a tray of a light dinner for him. She was sure he'd deny it, but she couldn't allow it. She did not forgrt to place some tables and a bottle of 'Zinda Tilismath' for him.

She tip-toed towards Zahid's room, placed the tray safely at a side, and knocked on the door lightly

She tip-toed towards Zahid's room, placed the tray safely at a side, and knocked on the door lightly. *No response* on the third knock, she heard a gruff voice enquiring who it was. "Zahid?...", she trembled. "Zahid please open the door. Please let me in just for a 2 minutes. I want to talk to you.", she whispered.

"I have nothing to talk to you. Go away."

"Zahid Please... For Allah's sake... Listen to me once.. just once.. please??", she placed her forehead on the door with tears streaming down her cheeks.

*A few seconds passed in silence*

Then, the door suddenly jerked open. Before Saniya could regain her balance, Zahid held her and pulled her inside, closed the door immediately and pushed her up against the door.

He gazed into her wet eyes for a moment with pain written all over hos face. Saniya grasped the chance to compose herself and take in his condition. His face was flushed. His hair were dishevelled. He seemed to have taken a bath after coming and changed into his pajamas. His eyes were red and puffed. He was looking at her with clenched teeth as if her mere sight hurted him. A lone tear rolled down her cheek. Zahid traced it with his eyes and all of a sudden, he moved.

"Why are you here? I told you, you will get your divorce papers soon. You can happily marry the love of your life after that. Are you so impatient that you want me to divorce you verbally right this ins.." Saniya jumped and covered his mouth with her hand, not letting him finish the sentence.