The Breakdown

Saniya was in a turmoil. She was so busy, she could hardly breath. She never had a chance to sit down the whole day. Her body ached. Her head pounded. She had dark eyebags under her eyes..

She usuallybprayed Isha around 8/9pm. After that, she would pray Tasbeeh-e-Fatimah (33 times- SubhanAllah, 33 times- Alhamdulillah & 34 times-AllahuAkbar). Then she would blow on her hands and rub them all over her body. She would feel like a big weight have been taken off her shoulders.

She was always so tired, that she fell asleep like a dead girl even if she closed her eyes for a minute.

It was a holiday that day. Everyone was at home; including Saniya and Zahid. Zahid tortured her more that day. He made her wash several clothes on hand (and not in the machine), saying that they were too delicate for a machine. Saniya knew he was lying but she didn't argue. He called her every now and then for some or the other work and didn't even give her a breather. It was examination period at her college. She had spend some part of the night and early morning grading the examination papers. She had spent many days preparing a question paper. Since she never had such a job before, it took her much time and efforts to get a knack of it. She's been feeling down emotionally and physically since 2-3 days. She never even got a chance to care about herself.

In the evening, Zahid, Aliya and the whole family had gone out somewhere. Aliya had asked Saniya to accompany them, but she refused. Her parents-in-law were going to spend a few days at some relatives' house meanwhile, some of their common cousins were coming up, she heard. Zahid didn't miss this chance and ordered her(secretly, of course), to make Haleem for dinner. "You are always wanting to impress my family right? This'd be the perfect chance. Haleem is my family's all time favourite. I want it ready by 8 pm. Nehal, Faizan and Zoha (their cousins)  will also be coming to stay with us. And ya! Don't grind the meat in a mixy. No one in our family likes it. Just crush it with a 'daal ghotni'(hand masher). For a woman who can crush lives and families, that won't be a problem, ha?" he spat and left.

*Picture of dal ghotni here*:-

For those who have no idea, making haleem is no piece of cake

For those who have no idea, making haleem is no piece of cake. It takes a lot of work and time. The meat, lentils & wheat had to be softened, they had to be cooked for hours, and the most difficult task was crushing the meat. Some people do it in a blender, but it doesn't taste that good. The real taste of haleem is in the stickiness which can be obtained only by beating it...'a lot'!

*picture of how haleem is beaten in restaurants*:-