The Little Dictionary

Leia clutches the tiny box in her palms. She fusses with the white-and-purple ribbon, matching the school's colors. Stepping up to the door, Leia hesitates ringing the doorbell; her younger brother Liam had decided to stay home, not really giving much care to the party for some odd reason.

Standing on the steps alone, she can hear party guests already having a blast inside: music tuned all the way up, people laughing occasionally and talking loudly.

She was sure going to miss this.

"Leia!" Conner opens the door, having spotted her through the window. "What're you doing standing outside for? Come inside!" He gestures dramatically for her to enter.

Peering through the hallway, Leia scans the crowds for Chris.

"C'mon, I'll take you to see your Romeo," Conner teases, putting out his elbow for her to take. Leia giggles at the gesture, but obliges.

Leia recognizes some of the people, mostly students from the school. Some she can point out from the photo frames on the walls.

Her and Conner finally make it to the living room, having passed their dining room/kitchen area. Leia spots Chris talking to a girl with short, brown hair and a curvy frame, sporting her own graduation gown.

Conner beams at them. "Sir Richards, Lady Meadows has arrived."

Chris chuckles. "You finally made it."

"Yes, I sure-" Chris hugs her tightly, but it only lasts a few seconds. "-did."

"Leia?" The brunette girl squints at her. "Is that you?"

"Um, yes," Leia speculates the girl standing before her- she did seem oddly familiar.

"It's me: Annaleigh Rushman!" She exclaims. "It's so been too long."

"Oh, it sure has." Leia forces a smile. Yeah, only because you ditched me in the dirt.

"Leia, did you get me a gift?" Chris asks, pointing at the box in her hands. "You really shouldn't have."

"Oh, yeah, this thing." Leia directs her attention to the box by waving it around nonchalantly. "It's nothing... I mean, there's something in it, but it's nothing big."

Chris laughs casually. "Okay, I'll only accept it because it's you." He reaches for the box.

A thought blurts out of her mouth before she can process it, "But don't open it."

"Why not?"

"I mean, just not now, in front of everyone. It's sorta... sentimental," Leia explains. "Just a momento of our high school years together."

"Alright, I trust you, Meadows." Chris holds it in his hands, his eyes glued to the box. "Why don't I put this in a safe place? So I'm not tempted to open it."

"Fant-abulous idea," Leia beams awkwardly. "You go and do... that."

"Alright," Chris uses his graduation gown like a cape, covering the lower-half of his face. He mimics Count Dracula, "I'll be back." He then pretends to disappear into the night.

Leia is left with none other than Conner and Annie: she immediately regrets handing Chris the box at that specific time.

"So, how's life been, Leia? I haven't seen you around much." Annie slaps Leia's arm, as if they have always been this friendly to each other.

"Oh, nothing much." Just the usual: getting beat up by bullies everyday, but that's no biggie.

"What college are you planning on going to?"