Chapter 35: Now he's just somebody that I used to know.

My heartbeat increased in speed with every step he took closer to us. I tried my hardest to focus on my pancake, which I had only taken one bite from. Without even looking I felt his presence standing next to me, I glanced at Niall to see what he was doing. It appeared that he didn't really know how to handle this whole situation. Brian was also silent for a while, and that didn't help either.

''I didn't know you were back,'' he said to me, completely ignoring Niall. I knew I had to look up, it was rather rude and a little weird to speak to him while looking at my plate. As I looked up, he placed his hand on my shoulder, the warmth of his touch making me feel uncomfortable. What the hell was he doing?

''When did you get back?"

''This morning,'' I said sharply, not even trying to maintain this conversation. I guessed the tone of my voice surprised him a little as he quickly removed his hand from my shoulder.

''Maybe we can have breakfast together, all the four of us?'' He asked. What? Was he out of his mind?

''No,'' was my short answer and I turned around, looking at Niall as I took a bite of my pancake which was starting to get cold. I heard Niall sigh in relief as Brian finally walked off, defeated. I could hear his annoyance and anger in the way his feet began to shuffle against the floor.

''He literally is out of his mind,'' I said to Niall as I saw in the corner of my eye that Brian sat down at a table not that far away from us. It was until then that I noticed he had Mona with him. I couldn't help but stare at her already swollen belly, trying to imagine how she would feel right now. I couldn't imagine being pregnant at this age, and if I was her, I really didn't know what I should do then. Especially when the father isn't even the one you love. Mona and I never really got along, I had always found her so annoying as she always wanted to be the centre of attention, but I really did feel bad for her right now.

''What an ass,'' Niall commented. ''I know he only grabbed your shoulder to make me jealous.''

''Did it work?''

''Maybe,'' he grumbled as his cheeks flushed a light shade of pink. I smiled as I placed my hand on top of his.

''No need to, you're way cuter than he is,'' I said as I winked at him, and his face finally cracked a smile.

''You're so bad at flirting,'' he said laughing and I just smiled back before finishing the rest of my breakfast. I wished I could enjoy this breakfast more, but with every move I took and every laugh I laughed, I felt Brian's eyes burning on me. Niall looked over to his table and then back to me.

''He's staring at you,'' he stated, the annoyance clear in his voice.

''I know, I don't get what his deal is,'' I sighed before taking a sip of my already cold latte machiato. ''He's with the girl he got pregnant, yet he's still trying to get my attention.''

I tried to talk with a soft voice so that Brian and Mona couldn't hear me.

''What?! He is going to be a father?!'' Niall hissed in shock as I leaned over the table so I could hear him whispering. ''And that's his girlfriend?!''

I also leaned over the table as we continued to gossip about them. ''No, I don't think so. He doesn't seem really interested in her. I went with both of them to school, she was in my class.''

''I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine the two of you together.''

''No, I understand. He used to be super sweet and caring, and I know he still is somewhere deep down but he has changed. And not for the good.''

Brian's eyes were now piercing into mine as I looked over at his table as if he could sense that we were talking about him.

'''This needs to stop, we can't even enjoy our breakfast,'' Niall said and he stood up, determined of his own plan.