Fighting Boring Battles

A/N:
Date: 5-2-17

Word Count: 2013

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: Fighting Boring Battles

*5 Years Later

I hate this. I'm supposed to be at home, but instead I'm stuck with these crazies. Specifically the crazies in the back of the bus. About a week ago was when it all began. The guys in the back of the bus started yelling at my eleven year old sister, Lucy. I don't remember what it was even about, but I got mad and tried to get them to shut up.

Lucy was little in my eyes and I'm sixteen, so naturally I should stand up for her. I could see Jake a couple seats away, listening to music. I knew since he was 17 and protective of Lucy, he would stick up for her if he knew what was going on. But it was my turn to help out my little sister. One thing led to another, and Moose pushed me onto my back into the aisle. It didn't hurt too bad with my adrenaline kicking in.

Jake must've heard the noise because he looked back at me with concern in his eyes. I shot him an "I got this" glare as I stood up. He turned away quickly, pretending not to care. That stung, but I was getting used to it. Jake had been giving me the cold shoulder for a while. He didn't like how distant I was and how I didn't really listen to our parents.

It wasn't my fault that every time I looked at our parents, I don't feel gooey happy family feelings. I just don't feel close to them, especially with how cold my father acts. But I'm sure that I'm the only one that feels it. But because of that, Jake thought I was a bad influence for Lucy. I didn't blame him for not knowing any better because I didn't tell him what was happening. So he returned to ignoring me, offering no help. I knew that I could handle this fight though.

Anyway, the guy's name isn't really Moose, but he's never told anyone his name before. We call him Moose because of how big he is and because of his uncontrollable anger issues. I guess he's fine with it. Meaning I haven't heard him complain. For all I know he doesn't know we named him Moose.

But everyone thought the name fit. I understood that it went along with his anger issues, but how he looked didn't make sense. Moose has black hair cut short like a soldier, and he towers over everyone. I thought his nickname should be Bear, but I didn't share those thoughts with anyone. I didn't have any friends to tell anyway.

Focusing back on the present... Moose pushed me and someone yelled "fight!" When I get angry I act irrationally. So I wasn't surprised when I was looking at Moose who was on the ground rubbing his head. I heard someone say I punched him in the stomach before pushing him down.

As I said before, I wasn't surprised at all. Especially since the stomach is considered a weak spot, so it's my favorite place to punch since it doesn't do too much damage. It helps that I have a punching bag at home to practice with, which makes my fists stronger. Plus I was really mad at Moose.

I pulled Moose off the ground and said, "Sorry man, didn't mean to hurt you." That was how I always talked after a fight with a guy, because if I talked "guy talk" it kept them from attacking again. I guess it soothes them. Don't ask me why, I don't understand guys any better than regular girls.

Moose just grunted a response and sat in his seat, but by then my bus driver Miss Maggie came down the aisle and told us to step off of the bus. I looked to Lucy and saw Jake grab her arm to stop her. With the angry expression on her face, I couldn't tell if she was going to attack Moose or Miss Maggie to defend me. I couldn't hear what Jake whispered to Lucy, but I could read his lips.