Presents and Silent Mantras

A/N:
Date 6-27-17

I was debating between two different gifs for this chapter, so I put the second one at the end of the chapter XD

Word Count: 2888

-----------------------------------------------

Chapter 35: Presents and Silent Mantras

I decided to check their mind to see who the person coming toward me was. It only took me a second to do all of that, so the person hadn't rounded the corner yet. "Hey." I said, a split second before Ash turned the corner, pushing a cart identical to mine. It was more full than mine, with food and drinks and some clothing. He smiled at me, looking a little confused. "How'd you know it was me? I didn't think you'd learned to use your newest skills so quickly." I noticed Ash made sure to carefully word his sentence in case anyone human was listening.

I shrugged and answered, "I haven't, I was using my old skills." And if that wasn't enough of a clue, I tapped my forehead and smiled. Ash had just stopped in front of me. "Well, I'll make sure to help you with the other skills soon." Ash promised me. I nodded and said, "I'd like that." It sounded to me like Ash was offering to train me about being a vampire, just like he'd offered when I was just turned. And although it had freaked me out then, it didn't bother me this time. "If you were wondering, I saw you come over here and I followed you." Ash said with a goofy smile, sounding just like a stalker.

I laughed and said, "Okay, you can help me pick out a game. And remember, I'll probably ask you to play all the time, so you better pick a good one." "Hmm..." Ash put a hand to his chin and studied the games seriously like it'd be a very hard decision. After a moment of him staring and me smiling, Ash just shrugged. "I have no idea what to pick because it has to be something you like. So, what do you like?" Ash asked me. I would say Twister, but I didn't think Ash would enjoy that, and I kind of liked it being a me and Lucy thing.

"Well, I've never played this before. I've seen commercials for it though, and it looks fun." I had just picked up the handheld game Bop It. Ash took the box from my hands and and studied it. "I don't think I've played this either." Ash told me. "But I'd definitely give it a try." Ash said honestly. "Really?" I asked Ash. He shrugged and spoke like it wasn't a big deal. "Yeah. I mean, I've got nothing better to do. I can't get cable or internet in the woods." I laughed at Ash, knowing that wasn't the only reason he'd play the game with me. He'd probably like it, but is just too manly to admit.

"You're such a guy." I told Ash with a smile. "What's that supposed to mean?" Ash asked me, trying, and failing, to look offended. I just shook my head at him and took the game, setting it in my cart. Ash looked back at the games. "Sorry is a pretty fun game." Ash said fervently. "But I can't afford it and Bop It." I loved that we were talking normally about board games and not about how crazy vampires could be after us. "Then I'll buy it." Ash said, pulling Sorry off of a shelf and adding it to his cart. "You used to play board games?" I asked Ash.

"Yeah, I had mandatory family game nights with my family once a week." He replied, looking back at the games. "Trouble is a good game too." Ash said after a moment of silence. Then he added that game to his cart too. "Are you going to be able to afford all of this?" I asked Ash, gesturing towards his cart. "Of course." Ash answered, as if that was a stupid question. Although he managed to not sound mean or annoyed. "You don't have to buy all of these games so that I can have fun, Ash." I said, when he added another game to his cart.

"I know, but I want to. It might sound crazy, but I learned to like board games." Ash said, moving his hair out of his face. I found myself smiling at his joke. I gazed up into his eyes, only having to tilt my chin up a little since Ash wasn't that much taller than me. The look in his eyes was almost nostalgic. He must miss his family. I wonder what happened to them. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. "Alright, what are we getting?" I asked with a smile. I thought that if he wanted to spend his mysterious money on board games, I wasn't one to judge. The look in his eyes turned from nostalgic to excited.