The Grey Room

A/N:
Date 6-21-17

Hey everyone! Here's an extra long chapter and a cliffhanger for you guys! You're welcome XD

Word Count: 3953

-----------------------------------------------

Chapter 32: The Grey Room

Once Zane and I grabbed Ash, we all headed back out into the hallway. I listened closely as we walked, again listening for anyone coming near. I looked questioningly at Zane because he was the one beside me, while Dalton was ahead of us. I quickly sent him a thought, "Is anyone near us?" I knew he'd be able to hear better than I could because he's an older vampire. He heard my message and immediately thought, "Mostly everyone is on the other side of the building." That was kind of odd, since they should be looking for us everywhere.

Zane shrugged like he knew I'd ask another question but he didn't know the answer. So I just looked away from him and kept walking silently. Zane could've been lying to me about where everyone was, but what would he gain from that? I'm not sure how old Dalton is, but he can probably hear as far as Zane can or farther. I would've sent a thought to Dalton, but it might freak him out since he's never experienced that. So I decided against it. We entered a different hallway than the normal white ones.

This one had grey stone walls. "We're almost there." Dalton whispered so softly that I barely heard. I clenched my teeth so as not to say anything. I couldn't make noise or we might be found. But I was so excited! We're finally getting out! The hallway went on for awhile, and the only things on the walls were a couple of picture frames that I hardly noticed. They looked plain and boring. Dalton stopped and so did Zane, and I almost kept going. I had been staring at the floor, not paying attention.

"Okay, we'll go in this room, down another few halls, then we'll be outside." Dalton said, right when he reached for the handle. Dalton went in first, then Zane and I turned and pulled Ash through the doorway. Dalton hurried to close the door behind us. Then suddenly, a bunch of vampires came running through a door on the other side of the room. We were being ambushed. I turned around quickly, pulling Ash with me. Zane had dropped Ash's arm in surprise. Dalton stood frozen, a smile on his face.

And suddenly I realized something. Zane wasn't the traitor, Dalton was. And I'd believed him. I blinked and Dalton looked shocked as he turned to me. "Go!" He shouted. Did I imagine the smile? No way, I couldn't have. Dalton was just acting, like he'd been doing this entire time. I wrenched the door open, putting Ash's arm over my shoulder. As I ran into the hallway I saw Zane beside me, grabbing Ash's other arm to help me. I couldn't believe I had stopped trusting him! Zane was the good guy, and Dalton was the bad guy. I can't believe I didn't get it before!

But I kept running through the hallway with Zane beside me and Dalton behind me. I hadn't had time to count, but there had to be about 15 vampires chasing us. How did we not hear them? Dalton must've told them exactly where we'd be, which meant they would trap us there in the hallway... That thought made me stop where I was, causing Zane to stumble and Dalton bumped into me from behind. I immediately sent my thoughts to Zane. "Dalton betrayed us, and there are more vampires coming from around the corner in front of us."

As soon as I thought it, I heard them coming. We were trapped. Luckily, it only took me a second to tell Zane. No one had caught up to us yet because they weren't using their super speed. They were confident they'd trapped us. Well, I'd show them. I turned before Zane could respond, dropping Ash into Zane's arms. Then I punched Dalton as hard as I could in his stupid face. He obviously hadn't known that I'd do that, so he was completely unprepared. He flew across the room and knocked over some of the approaching vampires.