Prophetic Story Time

A/N:
Date 6-7-17

Hey everyone! The color changing wall gif above will make sense at the end of the chapter :)

Word Count: 2395

-----------------------------------------------

Chapter 26: Prophetic Story Time

I woke up from a dreamless sleep when the world started moving. My eyes snapped open immediately, ready to see the walls come crashing down from an earthquake. But if I had been thinking rationally, I would've known that wasn't the case. Zane was shaking me but he pulled back when I sat up, my eyes glowing a hazardous warning at him. Which basically meant he better not do that again or I'd shove him through a wall. I supposed Zane got the message, since he had stepped far away from me. Well, at least out of reach. "Sorry." Zane shrugged at me like it was no big deal.

"What do you want?" I asked Zane fiercely. Apparently I was still agitated from my lack of sleep. "I brought something for you." Zane said in a calm, reassuring tone. I scowled at him for talking to me like I was a kid. Then I looked at his hand, where he held something out to me. It was a bottle, which I could suddenly smell very strongly. I ripped it from his hands, threw the lid off, and chugged the entire bottle. Zane snatched his hand back, looking offended. "Hey! I need those fingers!"

I shrugged like he did earlier and said, "Sorry." "Do you have more?" I asked Zane anxiously. This time Zane's answer sounded sincere. "Sorry Alicia, that was all the blood I could smuggle in here." I exhaled sharply and tried not to pour my anger out on Zane. Even though he probably, might have betrayed me, Zane had also helped me. "Thanks. But I'm fine now. When do we leave?" I said quickly so Zane might not notice the gratitude. Zane laughed at me, and I stared at the wall to keep from laughing with him. I was still way too tired to have steady self control.

"We still have an hour, so you should go back to sleep. But no drooling on the floor again!" "What? I did not drool!" I looked around where I was, but saw no embarrassing evidence. Only then did I recognize the teasing in his voice. "You jerk!" I threw the empty bottle at him. Zane hadn't expected that, so he just barely managed to catch it. Only his vampire speed saved him from that one. Zane was laughing at me and soon enough, so was I. Who wouldn't laugh at me? I was kind of pathetic.

Once I stopped laughing I rubbed at my eyes. "Oh gosh, I'm really pathetic." Zane's face suddenly went very serious as he sat down and scooted closer to me. He took my hand and I looked into his eyes, temporarily forgetting what had happened earlier. "Alicia, you are not pathetic at all. You are just dealing with a lot of stuff right now, and you've been under a lot of pressure. That's not your fault." Zane brushed a wayward strand of hair out of my face. His fingertips grazed my cheek, which was turning pink by now.

What was happening to me? I felt vulnerable like I'd never felt  before, but I didn't hate it. I'd never dealt with teenage boys before I met Ash. Except for the occasional fight. And now I felt closer to Zane, like I understood him and he understood me. But that couldn't be right, because Zane betrayed me. I didn't know him at all, and he sure as heck didn't know me. I pulled back and said the first thing I could think of. "So you really used to be telepathic?" I thought I saw a spark of disappointment in Zane's eyes, but it was gone so fast I must've imagined it.

"Yeah I did, before Storm took it from me." I thought Zane was being truthful, but I still wasn't sure. "What was it like? I mean, were you super powerful? What could you do?" Zane's eyes lit up with excitement. Somehow I could tell he wasn't faking this. "I was powerful! I mean, I worked with my telepathy for awhile. I knew how it worked and what to do with it. It was amazing." Zane looked like he was lost in memories, so I spoke again. "But what were your abilities? Could you read people's minds?" Zane looked back at me, slightly offended.