Loud Noises and Unbeating Hearts

A/N:
Date 5-30-17

Hey everyone! I don't really have anything to say, except I wish I had more time for Wattpad.

Word Count: 2838

-----------------------------------------------

Chapter 22: Loud Noises and Unbeating Hearts

I was shocked into silence by Zane's confession, but Ash had a completely different reaction. "I'm sick of this, Zane! Just go. Get out of here. We don't want your lies anymore!" I took another step forward and I felt a slight tug on my wrists. I could only take one more step forward before the chains enabled me. "I never said that I thought Zane was lying, Ash!" Zane looked hopefully toward me and Ash took a step back in surprise. Ash was probably upset because it looked like I was defending Zane and going against Ash.

"But I never said I trusted you, Zane." I said it calmly but firmly, and Zane's chin fell down slightly in defeat. But not yet total defeat, so he still had hope. And Ash relaxed slightly, letting me know he didn't think I was a traitor. Both of those things were exactly what I'd hoped for. "Now Zane, will you please explain why you don't have telepathy anymore?" Zane lifted his chin back up and said, "Storm had some scientist guys take away my telepathy." Ash said nothing, which was better so no one would argue.

I thought for a second about whether I believed Zane or not. I concluded that I needed more information. "How did they take your telepathy, Zane?" I waited a second as Zane stood there, looking thoughtful. Was he making up a believable lie? Was it hard to remember because it was long ago? Or was it too painful for him to remember? I knew that last feeling all too well. Zane opened his mouth to most likely answer, but the speaker in my room and Ash's made a buzzing noise. We all listened silently, waiting for someone to announce something.

"Commander of Troops is coming to pick up the visitor in exactly 3 minutes." The speaker buzzed again, then it went silent. Zane took a step back from the window. "It's time for me to go. The man you call Cubs is coming." I took another step forward and pulled at my chains. "Wait Zane! How do you know we call him Cubs? And why did you tell us all of this?" Zane scowled in Ash's direction before he answered. "I knew his nickname is Cubs because someone told me. And I told you because I'm helping you escape." I heard Ash's chains rattle, but he didn't argue or yell.

"A vampire named Dalton had someone turn off the cameras when he visited me and said he would help us. Can we trust him?" Zane smiled slightly so he wouldn't hurt his mouth, but he actually looked happy. "I've heard of him. He better be careful." Zane took another step closer to the door. "Wait Zane! Do you know him?" Zane nodded and said, "I am the one who turned off the cameras. They will be fixed in one minute, then they'll shut off later." I was surprised at Zane's declaration, but I hid my expression well. Ash, not so much.

Ash slumped down next to the wall, most likely in frustration. Zane shuffled his feet in thought. "I'll visit you later, but Dalton can't. It would be too noticeable. Just hold on until then. Visitors can be hard." Zane said it like he experienced it himself. Based on what Zane told us, he probably had gone through all this. I felt bad for Zane as he walked away. That made me realize I did believe him. I swore to myself then that I would try to help Zane in any way I could. Of course, that would have to wait until I got out of here.

Just as Zane reached the door, Cubs opened it. He grabbed Zane's arm and yanked on it. Zane was pulled out of Ash's room, even though he didn't resist Cubs. Did that mean they found out what happened and Zane was in trouble for helping us? Even though I hated Zane when I met him, I now considered him part of my alliance. Just like Dalton and Ash. Why was I going soft and trusting people? I've never trusted anyone but my brother and sister. I don't even trust my parents! And I've especially never trusted vampires.