First Date

A/N:
Date 7-12-17

Hey everyone! Sadly, I have to announce that this story is almost over. Fortunately, there will be another book for this series :)

And to let you know, there will only be two more chapters after this one! I hope you enjoy the end of this book

Word Count: 3196

-----------------------------------------------

Chapter 43: First Date

Chewing a piece of my new gum, I cleaned up my bedroom after Zane left, which didn't take long. I only had to make my bed and pick up my shoes. My dirty clothes were in a neat pile, since I didn't want to inconvenience Ash by having them spread out on the floor. With nothing left to do, I stared at my phone that currently occupied a position on the small dresser in the room. Usually the phone was in my hand, so I could stare at it indecisively. But unfortunately, I could do the same without it in my hand.

I couldn't talk to my family, not yet. I needed more time. I could talk to them after my date with Zane, so I would probably be happy when I talked to them. Until then I would just enjoy my night out. Which reminded me, we'd have to go outside to get to the restaurant. At night. In the woods. Last time I did that I ended up shutting off my mind, which resulted in me collapsing unconscious in the cabin. I didn't really feel like doing that. I'd have to talk to Zane, but he probably already had it all figured out.

Laying back on my bed and thinking about that night, I remembered something. Ash had been worried that I'd go insane if I turned off my mind again. But Ash was the one who technically went insane. It was a terrible irony of sorts. I smiled to myself in amusement. I frowned immediately after because I had nothing to do for the remaining time I had until my date. And I realized I could go crazy if I wasn't careful. If I figured out how to shut off my emotions like Zane could, I could seriously hurt people.

I'd have to ask Zane how he returns to normal, just in case that happens to me. Not that I'd turn off my emotions on purpose. But then again, I had turned off my mind purposely a couple of times. I sighed and sat up, no longer feeling relaxed. I paced back and forth in my room, not knowing what to do. I couldn't change into something fancier because all I had were simple things. I didn't have make up either, not that I'd want to put any on. I'm not even sure how vampire skin reacts to makeup.

I went in the bathroom to do what I could to make myself look better. I looked fine, but I wanted to look as good as I could. I brushed my teeth with my red toothbrush until I was sure they were clean. Then I took my hair out of its ponytail and let it fall onto my shoulders. Arranging it was hard with no products to work with, but I'd never used much before. Using a little bit of water, my hair was static free and framing my face. My light blue eyes stood out, much brighter than my dark blue shirt. I looked plain. With a sigh I exited the bathroom and resumed pacing.

After a few more minutes, I grabbed my phone to check the time. It was 5:47pm. Close enough. I walked out of my room and into the living room, hoping someone would be in there. I had no such luck. I sat on the couch and looked around, wondering again what to do. I held my breath and listened closely to hear where Zane and Ash were. Based on how close their breathing and footsteps were, I guessed they were both in their rooms. Ash sounded like he was pacing like I had been a minute ago. Pent up anxiety can get to you like that.

I felt bad for Ash but knew he just needed more time. He'd get over this eventually. I struggled to listen closer, trying to discern all the sounds in the house. I heard tapping noises, which sounded like a phone. Then a mattress moved, someone was getting up. Zane came walking into the living room, putting his phone in the front pocket of his jeans. "Are you impatient too?" Zane asked me, clearly amused. I shrugged and said, "Actually, yes. Plus I had nothing to do." "Do you want to leave now?"