Frustrating Conversations

A/N:
Date 6-19-17

Hey everyone! Here's another long chapter :)

I thought the quote for this chapter was ironic because it's true for Alicia in this story XD

Word Count: 3320

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 31: Frustrating Conversations

My smile was genuine this time as I realized that it was time to go. I was really getting out of here, far away from this building and Storm. I didn't have to struggle to hold onto my hope anymore. And even though I knew Zane was a traitor, he could still help us get away. Me and Dalton just have to ditch him later. After that, I don't know what'll happen. Dalton kissing me was a big surprise, and I have no idea if I feel the same way he does. But I guess I'll figure that part out after our escape. I just need to find out how Zane is going to try to trick us.

I realized I was still smiling at Zane, even though I wasn't thinking happy thoughts about him. So I looked over at Ash and asked an obvious question. "What do we do with Ash? Are we going to literally drag him around?" I looked up at Zane to see his reaction. "I guess we'll have to. Unless you want to leave him here." Zane said that with no enthusiasm, sounding like he didn't care either way. But I could tell he said it while also knowing that I'd never abandon Ash. Well, I might ditch Ash if I found out he was actually evil, just like Zane.

"Of course I'm not leaving him! You should know that by now, Zane." Zane just shrugged and said, "Just checking." He had that cocky grin on his face again. I think I'll have to find a way to get back at Zane before ditching him. I had come to think Zane's overconfidence and humor was comforting, but now it gets on my nerves. Just like it aggravates me that he seems to think he has "charming good looks" and that I'll swoon from his hero position. Sure, it might look to some people like he was saving me, aka the damsel in distress, but I could take care of myself. And because Dalton has evidence that Zane is evil, I don't believe Zane is saving me anyway.

And suddenly I noticed that I was staring at him again. Gosh, he must think I've gone crazy or something. Zane's grin had stayed on his face for who knows how long, because I don't know how long I was staring at him. Dalton cleared his throat and Zane immediately looked down at the floor, as if he was embarrassed. But my eyes fell on Dalton, and I saw jealousy in his eyes. Did he think me and Zane were having a moment? And did Dalton really care enough about me to get jealous of someone else? I almost smiled at the irony of it all. Zane is evil, so why would Dalton think I liked him? I didn't know what to think, since I'd never had a boy jealous over me.

I decided to say something because everyone was staring off. Zane was still looking at the floor, I was staring at Dalton, and Dalton was suddenly staring at me and smiling. The grin on his lips lit up his face, making him look much happier than he usually does. I mentally shook my head and said, "So what do we do now?" Zane finally looked up, but was staring blankly at a wall now. "Let's get Ash and get out of here." I nodded and immediately went over to Ash. Zane grabbed his left arm and I got his right, and together we pulled his arms around our shoulders, dragging him towards the door.

Dalton ran ahead of us and opened the door, then he peeked out to make sure no one was coming. Dalton gestured at us, clearly saying we were good to go. We stepped out into the hallway and Dalton closed the door as quietly as possible. We all jogged slowly down the halls, knowing that if we ran our footsteps would make too much noise. I couldn't keep track of the turns we made because there were so many of them, and most of the halls were bare. There were scarce picture frames hanging on the walls, varying in size.