5

Hayley

For the past two weeks, I've become friends with Annie. I've started to trust her, but I'm not sure if I want to tell her my story yet. She's told me about how much she's babied. I wish I could have that. I told her about how I'm pretty independent, and she wishes she could have my life. No she doesn't.

After school, we got on the bus and got dropped off at our street corner.

"Do you want to come to my house and do homework?" She asked.

"Sure!" I said, but I wasn't sure if her parents would like me.

I started combing through my hair with my fingers and picking specks of dirt off my shirt.

"Hayley, you don't have to make yourself look perfect! My parents probably won't be home until way later," Annie told me.

"Uh, okay," I said.

Shortly after that, we turned into a driveway and walked a path that lead to three steps. We walked up the stairs and Annie unlocked the door. We stepped inside. Her house is so amazing! There were carpeted stairs right in front of the door, and on the left, there was a path leading to a kitchen, and on the right there was a living and dining room. We walked upstairs and went into a room on the right side. The room was painted pink and had white closet doors, a white shelving unit, a white dresser, and a white daybed with a pink and purple comforter.

"Do you want a snack?" She asked when we put our backpacks down.

"Yeah," I replied.

We took our shoes off and walked downstairs to the huge kitchen. Annie opened the fridge as two little girls walked through the front door.

"Annie who's this?" One asked.

"Oh. Caysey and Cara, this is Hayley," Annie said.

The girls waved hi and I waved back. They ran upstairs.

"Are they twins?" I asked as Annie pulled two cups of strawberry Italian ice out of the freezer.

"Yeah. They're seven. My brother Caleb will be coming home at around 6:15, and so will my parents," She said.

"Okay," I said.

Annie then pulled two bags of chips out of the pantry and grabbed two spoons and napkins. We took the paper lids off of our Italian ice and sat down. I've never eaten Italian ice before and I loved it! I loved the chips too. They were really crunchy and salty. I think they were Kettle cooked.

We talked and ate, then started our homework. For math we had twenty problems and for English we had to study for a small quiz on pronouns and adjectives. We got done at 5:30 and we watched YouTube for half an hour. Then I started packing up when Annie asked me a question.

"Please don't hate me for this question, but I just want to ask. I've noticed you wear around a size smaller that me in clothes. Would you like some of my old clothes?" She asked nervously.

"Sure, I guess. I mean, you've already seen all the clothes I own in pretty much the first week of school," I said.

"Oh, ok. So here I have some shirts," Annie said, "and in this box are some shorts and shoes. Help yourself."

I looked through the boxes, and I saw some cute shirts and shorts and jeans. I held them up to myself to see if they would fit. All the ones I liked probably would! They were pretty girly but it was better than poorly sewn clothes from the thrift store and yard sales! Then I tried on three pairs of nikes. They fit and I packed everything in my bag.

"Thanks soooo much!" I said.

"You're welcome," Annie replied.

I left and ran into the woods to my house. I crept into my room. I didn't see mom on the way, and I didn't see her in her room. She must be out. I turned around to find myself face to face with her.