25

Hayley

Another boring day at school. And another boring walk to the bus stop. . . or so I thought.

I got knocked out and woke up in a room, laying on a bed. I sat up and looked around. It was a girl's room. There were clothes in the dresser and my backpack was next to the desk. I went into the conjoined bathroom and there was a toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, and a bunch of other things. Was I kidnapped to be someone else's kid?

I tried to open the door leading out of the bedroom but it was locked. After trying for a few minutes, I realized it was locked from the inside. Oops. I unlocked the door and looked into the hallway. Paul.

"Ahh, Hayley. Hayley Noelle Mikulak. How nice to see you," He said.

"Paul? Care to explain why I'm here?" I rolled my eyes.

"You see, Veronica was your mom. And your dad ran away with your older brother when you were young. And I was that father, and Caleb was that brother. And I wasn't crazy enough to stay with her, so I left your mom. She promised me she would take good care of you. But clearly she didn't, and that's how you ended up with your brother and foster siblings," He said. Wow, that was a lot to take in.

"Wait, where's Caleb?" I asked, starting to walk forward.

"He's here and he is perfectly fine. Caleb? Come here!" He yelled.

Caleb turned the hallway, and his calm expression turned to pure shock.

"Hayley?!" He said.

"Caleb!" I said, and ran towards him and engulfed him in a hug.

"I can't believe you're here!" He exclaimed.

"And I can't believe we're siblings! I knew I missed you too much without having an exact reason!" I said.

"Well, I guess I'll leave you two to be. I'm going out to the grocery store," Paul said, and picked up his keys and headed to the door.

Caleb and I heard the door slam and we let go of our hug.

"Wait, how have you not left here yet? You should have your phone," I asked.

He shook his head. "My phone doesn't work in here. It's locked. I had to send the email from his computer."

"Oh. Well, maybe he didn't lock mine yet," I said.

I went into my room and found my iPod. I couldn't text from it, it didn't go through. I tried emailing, and it didn't work either.

"He did lock it. You're right. So anyway, what do you do around here to keep yourself busy?" I asked.

"I play solitaire, Jenga, Yahtzee, and do puzzles. So you want to do a puzzle?" Caleb asked.

"Sure."