3

*first day of school*
Annie

I was soooo excited for my first day of middle school! I ran downstairs to find pancakes being set on the table. Mine were already cut, as usual. Cara's weren't cut. I'm sure if Caysey didn't have a hand problem, hers wouldn't be cut up either. Dad greeted me at the table. I quickly ate and ran upstairs to pick an outfit before mom could choose for me. Just to my luck, my bed was made, and an outfit was neatly placed on my bed. It was a pair of long denim shorts and a pink tank top with a white denim jacket. Luckily, mom has a really good taste in clothing. I swapped the long shorts with shorter ones, and the shirt with a pink-to-purple ombré one. I put on my leopard print vans and brushed my teeth. I did my hair in a high ponytail, and skipped into the hallway. Mom failed to notice my shirt and shorts, but noticed my hair immediately.

"Honey, let me do your hair. Yours is messy. There's bumps in the front," she said as she ushered me into her room.

Yes, there were small bumps, but no ones hair is perfect. I reluctantly followed my mom, and she put my hair in a messy bun. It was really cute, cuter than the ponytail, but I didn't want her to see that I liked it. So, I pouted on the way out of the room and to the front door. I picked up my backpack and mom-made lunch and headed out to the bus stop. I talked my parents into letting me ride the bus since I was in sixth grade. Anyway, I stood there and waited for the bus. Another girl was there too. She had on a fading blue shirt, high-water jeans, a gray jacket, and a pair of cheap looking shoes that I saw at Walmart two weeks ago. She also carried a plain gray backpack. Her wavy brown hair was in a messy ponytail. I waved to her, and she just smiled back. It looked fake, and I could see hurt in her eyes. I don't know what I could have done, though. The bus pulled up, and we got on.

In my 3rd period class (English), I saw that girl again. I was sitting right next to her, actually. Our teacher gave us each grammar workbooks, and we had to use highlighters on the first page. The girl had a look of worry on her face. I think she saw the six rainbow highlighters in my pencil pouch.

"Can I borrow a highlighter please? I'll give it back when we're done," she asked.

"Sure! What color?" I asked, pointing to the remaining five, which were orange, purple, blue, yellow, and green.

"Uh, purple," she said.

"Okay," I said as I handed her the highlighter.

She opened it and smiled. Then, we did our work, and she handed it back at the end of the class.

"My name's Annie by the way," I said as we walked out the door.

"I'm Hayley," she said.

"What classes do you have next?" I asked.

"Lunch, Math, and Literature," she said.

"Same! That's so funny!" I said. We both giggled.

"Well, do you want to sit together at lunch?" I asked.

"Sure!" She said.

We met for lunch at the table near the wall. I saw Hayley in the cafeteria line. When she went to the money counter, she just gave the lady a nod, and left. She came to sit across from me.

"Why didn't you pay?" I asked.

"Uh. . . that lady is my aunt," she said, though I could tell she was lying.

We continued to talk. Then we headed to the rest of our classes.

*home*

I got home, and luckily I had no homework on the first day of school. Mom came in and I closed my laptop. She doesn't like when I watch YouTube without permission.

"I know you're watching YouTube. What video?" She asked.

"An Avia Butler best moments video." I said.

"Fine. Just turn it off if there's cursing." Mom said.

Wow that was surprising. She let me off so easily.

*at night*

That night, I was awake thinking about Hayley. What was she hiding? All I could tell, was it wasn't something good. It wasn't good at all.