Running with the Thestrals

………..

It has been over a month since that fateful night at the dueling club and the drawing of the Tri Wizarding Tournament Champions. Dumbledore paced around his office uneasily. As usual, Severus was here with him, however he was concerned more with a rather new feeling that was slowly nudging at his heart and caused him to terrorize the only student who would ever dare to confront him about it. However, Dumbledore was past the point of lecturing Severus about what he should do.

“I’m confused Severus.” He admitted. “I don’t know what is going on anymore. I hoped that we would capture the culprit before the Champions would have to face their first task so we could spare Harry from facing the dragon but obviously we failed at this.”

Severus looked up. “If it truly is Dark Lord’s doing, his cause and servant will not reveal themselves before the end of the Tournament Albus. The only way to spare Potter all of this is to go against the rules Bartemius Crouch set out for us. And then we will never get rid of the… culprit.”

There is no way out of this, thought Dumbledore unhappily.

“How are you Severus?” he asked his young colleague. 

“I’m still alive, even though that soon might not be the case.” He snickered.

Dumbledore petted Fawkes on the head, replaying the occurrences of the past few weeks.

“And the girl?” he asked. Severus sat back sharply:

“Stop it Albus; I made my decision. It is better if I stay the annoying professor that gives out endless, tricky assignments and detentions than to encourage anything.”

Dumbledore shook his head. For once, he wished that he would be able to stay out of other peoples’ lives but somehow he couldn’t do it. He felt responsible for the manner of life Severus has come to lead: alone, friendless, and without any other hope but that Tom Riddle would one day kill him for serving the Light.

“I think it’s late for Caty Severus.” He chuckled in amusement.

Severus looked up with bits of hope gleaming in his eyes. Dumbledore continued.

“First I would like to remind you of your rather successful launch of the dueling club. She’s a rather gifted duelist don’t you think? It’s strange how a woman so gifted and spirited as she wouldn’t take revenge on such a hateful professor as yourself when he stands in front of her at a wandpoint. Or that the professor wouldn’t try to punish his most impertinent student. You went easy on her Severus.”

Severus looked up, surprised: “I didn’t think anyone saw that…”

“Oh Severus…., do not underestimate the eyes of the crowd. Even some of the students noticed.”

Severus looked at him in serious disbelief. “What?”

Dumbledore put on his innocent face. “By the way, did you hear from Minerva that the girl is making a true progress on becoming an Animagus? Soon enough she will knock on your door and ask for Legilimency lessons.”

Severus got up and loomed over him but this didn’t intimidate Dumbledore; he was quite accustomed to it. “Enough teasing Dumbledore,” he hissed. “We both settled on my manner of life and involvement with a teenage witch I teach, no matter how gifted or attractive, was not on the drawing board. Stop.”

Dumbledore peered down at him, thinking that there really is nothing he could do to push the couple closer.

“That is not really my interest in her Severus,” he announced. “I am solely wondering couple of things about our young guest and you’re the only one who can clarify them for me. It’s your new task.”