The Unexpected

…………….

Caty woke up while it was still dark, still encircled by Severus’ arms. She slowly took in his scent and stroked his spine with her fingertips. He twitched a little but didn’t wake up.

She tried to bury her face in his arms and fall asleep again but her mind was filled with too many questions. Stubbornly, she refused to think of those before Severus woke up too and closed her eyes more firmly. She tried to slow down her breathing just like when she used to run around the meadows of Andalusia as a child.

Her endeavor was successful, she felt her breath become slower until her breaths were small, but deep and her heartbeat seemed to slow itself down to  a strong tap in her chest that sounded only every couple of seconds.

Finally she seemed to drift away but it wasn’t into a dream. In her dreams, Caty never felt so small and insignificant.

“You’re here again?” asked familiar voice, obviously amused with her confusion.

“I hope you remember something this time, it would be rather annoying to push you in the right direction again,” the voice laughed and Caty felt a pang of recognition.

The memories of what happened after Severus poured the deadly Tonic down her throat were slowly coming back to her in confusing pieces but this time she managed to draw onto something important.

“You said to come by any time.” She said, feeling a little insecure.

From the dark, the curious being emerged again. The creature danced towards her in its mocking manner.

“That I did, but I honestly didn’t expect you to be back so soon.” It’s smile made Caty shiver.

“So now you’re here again, barely healed from the wounds that caused our last encounter, with your mind full of pathetic questions and absolutely ridiculous confusion.”

The creature frowned, baring its pointy teeth.

“I might start to regret allowing you to come in and go as you please.”

Catalina unfroze. “Why did you allow me then? And where did you exactly allow me to come?”

The creature hissed and reached for her but Caty recalled what have its sharp nails, almost claws, done last time. She grabbed the creature by the wrists.

It smirked at her.

“Feeling like a little daredevil dear?” Its amusement was once again sending shivers up and down Caty’s spine but she decided not to give in to her instincts, that told her to turn around and run as fast as she could even though there was nowhere to run.

“But sure! Why not ask? But what a silly question dear, after all, this place is all yours. You just don’t do enough to be welcome here yet.” The creature chuckled. “You’re here only because of my benevolence now.”

“Who are you?” The creature ridiculed her.

“Find out who you are before you require it of others my dear. But then again,” it chuckled. “Once you’ll know yourself, you won’t really have to ask who I am.”

Its eyes studied her in wonder before it started to laugh. The sound of the laughter created an echo that made Caty’s ears ache.

“Oh, the despicable frivolities of a human life. that's why you're here.....”

Its face stopped just millimeters from her face.

“He didn’t want you did he?” it whispered. Catalina looked away for the first time, wondering how this creature could have known.