Prologue

The night came upon the port of Ipswich swiftly as usual. The sailors wondered around with nothing to do. Some of them grabbed a beer, some of them reached for one of the women who stopped by; smiling sleazily through their lips covered in cheap, blood red rouge. Only one of these women has noticed a young, dark haired man that has appeared as out of thin air.

Taking her chance, she walked up to him, making sure that she swayed her hips to the usual rhythm that usually made the sailors fight for her.

“Hey there stranger,” she sang while licking her lips.

“The name is Rose, like the flower…”

He pushed her away without hesitation or caring. He was driven by the mission he has received from his master, and some cheap whore couldn’t occupy his time right now. Maybe later he thought as he strode down the street to the areas of the darkest shadows of the port.

“Lumos.”  he whispered, lighting his wand, as he held up his cloak so he wouldn’t step in any of the dirty puddles on the pier.

Why would they hide here? He wondered. Then he snarled into the dark night, if his informant has tipped him off wrong, he would pay with his tongue or even more. Finally he saw a movement which has been too prominent and too careless for an animal behind boxes that claimed to be full of something called Finlandia. He acted quickly, jumping over the box; he prepared his wand for the combat position. However he was amazed at the sight that has been offered to him.

“Lady Alexis?” he whispered in disbelief. “You’re here alone?”

A delicate, cloaked figure has crumbled up from under an old blanket. In the light of his wand, he realized that he has never seen her this devastated. Her hair was damp and uncared for and her face was exhaustingly pale with black circles under her eyes. Sadly she responded:

“I am not a Lady, Severus Snape; that title does not belong to me,” she looked at him warily. “Did he send you to kill me?”

“No,” sneered he, even though he didn’t lower his wand.

“The Dark Lord is furious; however it was Bellatrix who sent me. Her message for you is that you and Regulus will give up your foolishness and come back. According to her, you have earned the highest honors at becoming the Dark Lord’s mistress, and she asks that your Ladyship, doesn’t throw all of that away.” Severus observed the young woman’s expression.

What is she hiding? He wondered. As she came closer, the truth has dawned on him: her absence from the raids of other Death Eaters, Regulus’ protectiveness of her, the escape, all of that has now been explained as the young woman stood up and unbuttoned her ragged trench coat; revealing a belly swelled with life.

“Regulus is dead, he can’t come back,” she whispered while patting her belly. “I need to leave Severus. I thought all of what we have done has been right… but I cannot allow my child to live this kind of life. To have a mother who is a Death Eater…,” Alexis shuddered.

“What if the child will be a Squib? He would kill her without hesitation… I need to start over somewhere far away Severus. I beg you, pretend that you have never met me here.” Her emerald green eyes we fixed upon him now, begging for herself, for her child. Then she whispered. “The ship leaves in the morning, I will leave Britain without leaving a trace of my magic behind. You shall not be blamed or punished; you’re his favorite.”

Out of all that Alexis Black has revealed to him, only one thing intrigued Severus.

“Her….. How do you know that it’s a girl?” he whispered with a dazed look in his dark eyes.

“I don’t know,” replied Alexis. “Will you forget that you have ever seen me here?” she pleaded again.

Severus Snape took a deep breath and felt the salty taste of the sea wind in his mouth. In the distance, the whore he rejected earlier giggled on the lap of a dirty old sailor who just poured beer down her cleavage. Slowly he turned to Alexis:

“I will remove this memory from my mind; no one will ever know.”

He turned his back to the pregnant woman and vanished. Little did he know that this was the evening that has sealed his own fate. As Alexis watched him Disapparate, the child she carried inside her belly kicked her for the very first time.