Fall from Grace

Dedicated to ScottishChampion11 since it is her birthday today! :) Happy 17th love and many more to come!

………………………..

“Does that mean I’m free to go?” asked Catalina impatiently. Madame Pomfrey threw one quick glance at her and clicked her tongue impatiently:

“Other than the anemia I don’t see anything that should keep you here and of course the potion should take care of that little problem… but I assume you already knew that since you’re fully dressed and ready to go.”

The Healer didn’t look pleased. In fact her voice was dripping with poison as she looked Catalina up and down. Caty immediately became worried that some of the changes that came with pregnancy might already be noticeable even with the eyes of a person who has never had any children herself but the worry disappeared quickly.

She just disapproves now that she knows Severus is the father, she’s been like this for some time now, she reassured herself and waited in silence. Finally Madame Pomfrey took up her wand and pointed it in the direction of the file cabinet. A scroll of parchment flew directly into the Healer’s left hand and started to fill itself with writing. Eventually, it rolled up, and Madame Pomfrey tapped it twice with her wand to seal it.

“You will give this to your Head of House,” she spoke dryly. “And in case you forgot Miss Legrande, your Head of House is Minerva McGonnagal and her office should be your first stop on the way to the Gryffindor House.”

“Of course Madame,” replied Catalina coldly and accepted the scroll. She was incredibly curious as of what did Madame Pomfrey disclose in the scroll that clearly wasn’t for Catalina’s eyes but then again she was sure that Minerva would let her see it. Madame Pomfrey’s eyes narrowed once more:

“Now that you’re ready I’d appreciate you leaving my office; I have tests to perform and you have to get to the Gryffindor Tower before other students arrive.”

It was a very unsuitable way of being thrown out but Catalina only smirked and left; the Healer was correct in more than one way. Catalina grabbed onto the small back of clothing and supplies that Minerva brought to her two weeks ago when she woke up for the ever-lasting nightmare and left the infirmary.

The hall of the castle she entered was ghoulishly quiet, only the occasional crackling of the torches interrupted the silence. Catalina sighted and got on her way to Minerva’s office. The office and rooms of the Transfiguration Master were located directly above the Infirmary; only three stories higher. Thanks to the ever moving staircases, what could have been a short trip took up almost an hour. Finally, Catalina set down her bag and knocked.

“Come in!” she heard the brisk voice and walked in.

Minerva was sitting behind her desk, reading an ancient looking thick book with the help of her wand and some other strange device that Catalina wasn’t familiar with. Upon seeing her, Minerva stood up:

“Caty,” she voiced out in a surprised tone. “I thought Poppy would keep you for at least another week. She told me you have to be very careful yesterday.”

“I think she’s fed up with me Minerva,” answered Catalina and noticed Minerva’s doubtful expression. With a sight, Catalina took a seat by the fireplace and saw Minerva join her. Catalina drew the scroll out of her robes and handed it to the elder woman in silence. Minerva didn’t ask any questions; she only started to read. The slight frown that set on Minerva’s face when she saw the scroll deepened as she continued to read and could truly compete with one of Severus’s sneers when she was done.

“Very well, I’m glad Poppy decided to first send this before running to Umbridge with the news,” announced Minerva and handed the scroll over to Catalina who started to read curiously. It was fairly obvious to see what seemed to disconcert Minerva.