Rejection

…………….

Madame Pomfrey looked up as she heard the sound of the door.

“You’re here again Severus?”

She asked in surprise. Severus stepped away a little.

“I might not be a Healer Poppy but I consider Miss Legrande to be my responsibility; needless to say, my being here, is a duty quite similar to your own.”

Madame Pomfrey bit her lip in a guilty silence. “You saved her life Severus. I can understand that you would need to…”

“Thank you Poppy, could you leave me alone here with Miss Legrande?”

Madame Pomfrey has obviously thought that this was strange, however she left the infirmary. Severus pointed his wand and safeguarded the lock; no one would overhear, or walk in.

He slowly approached the very same bed on which he has put down Caty a few days ago. She was sleeping peacefully, with her chest wrapped up in a soft bandage. Severus hesitantly touched her face. He has hoped all would be well if Catalina survived the first three hours after she has accepted the Ishtabian Tonic but the truth was that this was the fourth day that she remained unconscious.  Severus checked the bandage on her chest carefully. Madame Pomfrey might have thought that it was unnecessary after the Potion treatment that Caty has received but Severus liked to keep the bandage on just in case.

“Severus?” he heard her whisper quietly. As he looked up, he could see that Caty was looking at him, perhaps still a little confused from the influence of the tonic but it was she; his beloved Caty. She tried to get up but Severus reacted quickly, pushing her gently back onto the pillow by the shoulders.

“Pssh, rest Caty this wasn’t easy.” He saw her looking down at her bandaged chest. She reached for his hand.

“What happened exactly? I only remember you giving me the Tonic.” Without a word, he pulled her hand closer to him and started to kiss the inside of her wrist. Her fingers caressed his face in response. She took him by the chin.

“Sev, tell me please.”

Severus sat up closer to her, as he caressed her face in reassurance.

You just want to know everything don’t you? He had to smile.

“Two students from my House attacked you; the effect multiplied on you.” He winced with the pain of the memory.

“You almost died,” he whispered.

He bent down and kissed her, gently encircling her lips. It was a long gentle kiss; he never wanted to let go of her now that he’s almost lost her.

He felt her pulling him down to her. Her hands circled his shoulders.

“Don’t be crazy Caty, that Tonic might have worked but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the wounds won’t open again if you… over exert yourself.”

He chuckled at her scowling expression. This was Catalina as he knew her, playful, with a temper and insatiable when it came to the amount caresses passed between them. Finally he got to the task that needed to be taken care of.

Carefully he unwrapped the bandage from her chest.

……………..

Catalina ran her finger along the new scar between her ribs. She could see Severus observing her attentively. Catalina smiled at him.

“I remember you fixing this one.”

He closed his eyes in pain.

“Don’t even remind me Caty.” He bent down to kiss what has been a deadly wound only days ago.