Air

…………………

Catalina watched Severus tapping his fingers on top of the table impatiently. She could tell he wasn’t angry but he certainly was enjoying the moment when she couldn’t be sure about what he’ll do. The books she stole from the Abeerdshire City Library were lying between them as an ultimate proof of her little feat. She looked into his beautiful obsidian eyes and recalled how this little confession began when Severus asked her when she bought the dress she had in the Malfoy Manor and she didn’t want to lie. After a while of explaining, Catalina just forced the memory on Severus and she could tell he was still contemplating over it. Finally, Severus picked up one of those books and started to go through it.

“If anyone else brought these in I would be much happier than I am right now,” he grunted a little from behind the book.

“And since it was I who brought them in?” she asked and didn’t fail to notice that mischievous smirk that played out on his face.

“Then it is my duty to inform you that you brought in three books, which means you should be reading right now,” he said silkily. Catalina picked up another book and pushed up another chair to his desk to join him. She kicked off her shoes and pulled her knees to her chest for comfort and started to read. She picked the book that she believed to be handwritten and turned the fragile pages carefully. Everything, even the handwriting of the author, suggested that this manuscript was ancient. Caty opened the book somewhere in the middle and blinked twice:

“I think we won with this one,” she announced and saw Severus lean towards her curiously. She traced the page with her finger:

“Here see? I prepared the sacrifice. He is a young boy, no older than fifteen years of age. He’s obviously afraid, even though he has no idea what is to come.It will happen on the night of the new moon, when the Darkness holds the most power over this world and then my mate and wife shall walk this Earth once more. I’ve missed her dearly; keeping watch over her embalmed body is not enough anymore. Every day that I woke up without her by my side has been a torture. I have heard before that losing a wife or a husband that swore to stand by the side of one who knows the Mysteries causes perhaps the worst pain imaginable to the practitioner. I know that I am repeating myself but I need something to hold onto to justify my deeds. Nimue was never meant to become part of this struggle for power that started between a father and son. If I had listened to her and decided to leave as she suggested, Death would never claim her before her due time. If it weren’t for that, I would never attempt this treacherous art; I am no Necromancer. But should the Death keep me for my insolence, at least I will be once again by her side.”

“Reads like a romance novel,” said Severus coldly but it was obvious that the book intrigued him.

She decided to skip to the final passage of the book and read it out loud:

It is done. I stabbed the boy in the heart and watched him die. I’ll never forgive myself for taking his life; I was never able to explain to him why I succumbed to such evil.I’ll always remember his pain and the words he shouted at me even before I touched him. He called me a traitor and he was right; a Necromancer should only ease the passing of the dying and never put these powers to personal use. But I am not one, and I know that I’m neither the first nor last who will break the laws; my actions are thus on the verge of acceptable. My encounter with Death was exhausting though.

After the boy died, I have followed the flow of his life to Death’s realm to claim Nimue in return. The Death was waiting for me there along with his most faithful servant: a hateful, heartless creature that stands by his side day and night.While the Death remained neutral and concealed to me beneath his cloak; this creature approached me and the boy I sent on this journey. I can write down only parts of the conversation that I remember, for many of my memories remain in the dark: