Chapter 23

Hello, my fellow readers!! I'm so sorry I wasn't able to update last week. I was in the hospital sick and wasn't able to update. But, I'm much better now. And 1K?!?!?! OMGeez guys!! You guys are the best!! Thank you guys so much for reading and being so patient with me :)

Hope you enjoy and thank you for reading!!

~Ell

----------------------------------------------------

The Yule Ball had gone off without a hitch; much like everything within the time period did. Rose had found herself enjoying life just a tad more than usual. If it was because it had a lack of a rising dark lord or not, the girl wasn't entirely sure. However, ever sense Christmas, she had been much more happy.

    Rose had found herself thinking back to the events of Christmas night more often than not within the past month. Of course, Newt nor herself could bring themselves to talk about the matter for some strange reason.

    The kiss had happened.

    Rose was first afraid that she was leading Newt on. She was still planning to return to her own time. But as she thought about it, she realized that the future would have already changed. For the future had been changed the moment Newt laid eyes on her and taken her to the medical wing. She found it best that she begin to treat this time period as her own; at least for the time being.

    Newt, on the other hand, had been completely nerve-wracked and internally giddy. After their kiss, he couldn't find the words to tell Rose how he really felt. The girl had simply smiled as he had barely able to keep a smile from his own lips, as he had to remind himself how to breathe. He had tried on many occasions to try and talk about the night with his... well, he wasn't too sure what he and Rose were. But he had never gathered up the courage to talk about the kiss. He was as awkward as he had ever been within those moments; even if Rose didn't take notice.

    Things, strangely enough, remained the same between the two. Neither were sure if they were still friends or if they were something more, but they were comfortable. Though, it was also true that the two of them had been closer than ever before.

    The two were currently within the common room. Newt was trying his upmost best to try and figure out the riddle to the previous tournament clue. Rose was pretending she was researching by reading a rather large book over aquatic magical beast, sketching in her sketch book instead. She had a feeling that the object taken would be none other than the actual boy in front of her.

    Newt had huffed out yet another breath of air in frustration that evening, "Again, nothing on what Merpeople have interest in." Newt slammed the book shut and let it drop to the floor. The male Hufflepuff was currently sitting on the floor with a pile of books on each side of him as Rose sat in the corner of the couch just behind his head. "Well, I'll find out tomorrow," Rose shrugged.

    Newt began to rub his hands down the side of his face, glancing at the flames within the fireplace before them, "How are you not the slight bit interested?" "I've read through all those books in the library, just as you have. I just need to find where the Merpeople dwell and stay clear of the kelp forests. But don't get me wrong, I'm quite interested mind you," Rose replied.

    Newt had furrowed his eyebrows as the girl's statement went through his head once more, "Did you just say you read you've read through all the books in the library?" "Yes," Rose replied, without looking down to her friend. "Then what have I been doing for the past five hours?" Newt gestured to all the books around him before turning to the girl. Rose picked her head up, realizing she had absentmindedly answered her friend. "Did you learn anything?" Rose asked, turning to her friend. "Well, yes but-" Rose smiled, cutting Newt off, "then it wasn't all for nothing."