Chapter 28

Only two days after Newt and Rose had graduated, Newt had attended the interview and got the job, as he was to now work within the Ministry of Magic's Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

Of course, instead of being put to work, he had served on the Eastern Front in a confidential Ministry of Magic program to wrangle Ukrainian Ironbellys; of course the program was canceled relatively quickly, seeing as all the dragons didn't responds to anyone other than Newt. Or in other terms, didn't try to eat him. He had been eternally grateful to all the things Rose had taught him about dragons within the past two years he had spent with the girl.

Over a course of two years, when the war had ended, Newt had worked in the Office for House-Elf Relocation before transferring to the Beast Division, where his vast knowledge of magical creatures led to a rapid series of promotions, propelling him forward as a Magizoologist. Within the next year, Newt was commissioned to write the first edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Considering he didn't have the best income, Newt jumped at the chance for extra money and the opportunity to spend his summers traveling the world.

As the years passed, Newt travelled to a hundred countries, across five continents, doing extensive research for his book. He observed many magical creatures, learned about their abilities, gained their trust, and occasionally beat them with his traveling kettle if they got too dangerous. In the year 1925, he had began a year-long trip to document magical creatures and their natural habitats. After leaving Equatorial Guinea, he returned to England, in December of 1926; if only for a few days.

During his exciting and life changing adventures, he had never been able to get Rose Black off his mind. He had searched for her plenty of times, but it had been as if she had simply up and vanished. He had never visited America, but he was going there within the course of a few days. However, he needed the girl's help; now more than ever. He had contacted the Black family, namely Arcturus, the one that had gone to school with him and Rose, about the possible whereabouts of girl in question. The response had been disheartening, saying Rose had disappeared the day after they had graduated.

This ultimately left Newt knowing that he had been the last one to see her before her disappearance. She hadn't wanted him, or anyone else, to follow her. Why? The question had always lingered on his mind but none more so then when his feet had landed on his home soil once again. There was something the girl was hiding and, possibly, couldn't tell him... even if she really wanted to. But what was so bad, so terrible, that she couldn't tell him?

The day of their graduation, Newt specifically remembered his Transfiguration teacher stopping them in the halls, asking if he could talk to Rose about her mother's Thunderbird sanctuary. Furthermore, Rose had thanked the professor about some kind of arrangements. As to what kind, he hadn't the slightest idea, but it was the only lead he had.

And little had the friends known, Dumbledore knew the day would come when Newt came in search of Miss Rose Black. And, if she was still within the time period, he was going to make sure the girl got a bit of fresh air; if only for a little bit.

Speaking of which, Rose had kept herself rather busy. She had moved into the old Dumbledore summer home, away from any life that could have possibly known she was existing. There, she had started her gardens and a small Magical Creature Sanctuary to call her own. The cottage itself had been brightened up with exotic flowers, edible delicacies, and was tucked on the visible line of forest and rolling green pastures. But, off to the left, just a little ways, sat the edge of a cliff. Surrounding the cottage was a mote, which connected to a larger pond hidden behind the living structure. Off to the back right corner of the house, stood a barn, covered in moss and ivy.