Chapter 18 - Hot and Cold

You spent a couple hours meeting Jimin's friends and acquaintances before you decided to break for drinks and food.

Jungkook led you to the buffet, handing you a plate of strawberry cheesecake. His eyes lingered on you for along moment.

"What's with the look?" you asked.

"What look?"

"Why are you staring?"

His eyes shifted back to the table as he reached for the bowl of strawberries lying next to the cheesecake. "I like that dress on you."

You looked around. "Me?"

"Yes, you. Who did you think I meant?"

"Well, you've barely spoken to me since I arrived. Usually you just glare at me."

You impersonated his scowl.

He snorted and smiled. "Is that really how I look?"

"At me? All the time. I know you don't like me, Jungkook. I just don't know why. And I really don't know why you decided to be my date all of a sudden."

He put a strawberry in his mouth, his lips encasing it gently right before he sunk his teeth into it. His lips held a touch of red as he chewed. 

How was that so attractive? You felt perverted and turned your head away from him to take a bite of your cheesecake.

"The reason I'm your escort," he said, still chewing, "is because Jin couldn't make it. He was supposed to come with you. That left Namjoon or me. Although, seeing you two yesterday in the library --"

"Don't let your imagination go anywhere, Jungkook." you warned.

His eyes stared into you as he gave a small smirk, eating another strawberry. You held his gaze. "Good to hear there's nothing there. Especially since --"

He stopped. Biting his lip, he picked up another strawberry and shoved the whole thing in his mouth.

"Especially since what?" you asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing."

"What were you going to say?"

Jimin stepped in next to you. "How's the cheesecake?"

You turned to him, caught off guard at the sudden change in the conversation. "Uh... oh. It's really good."

He smiled at you. "I'm glad to hear you like it. Are you having fun? I know this is probably a lot to take in."

You blushed at his concern. "A  little. But it's a celebration of you, so it's not that bad. You've been really kind to me since I got here."

You suddenly felt Nara's eyes on you. You cleared your throat.

"You all have," you added. "Nara, and... well..." 

You looked at Jungkook and frowned. You turned back to Jimin. 

"Well, you and Nara anyhow."

Jimin smiled. "Then let me extend my hospitality into the first dance of the evening."

He held his hand out for you. You shot your head back to Nara. Her eyes shifted to her feet. 

"Uh, shouldn't you save that for your da--"

"If you're going to steal my partner," Jungkook cut in, "it's only fair I steal yours. Nara, would you like to dance?"

He held out his hand for her. She glanced at Jimin, then at you. She nodded to Jungkook and took his hand.

"Wait --" you started to say.

Jimin clasped your hand. "Shall we?"

His eyes wrinkled into a warm stare. It didn't match the frustrated tone on the edge of his voice.

Not knowing what else to do, you nodded.

Jimin escorted you to the floor, holding you in the proper dance stance. His warm arms cradled you as you spun across the floor. You didn't trip as much as you thought you would. Hoseok would have been proud. You wished he was there to see it. 

"I should have more parties,"Jimin said. "It'll give you an excuse to wear that dress again."

"Jimin," you said, unable to bite your tongue any longer, "You know Nara really cares about you."

His face fell. He picked it back up into a courteous grin and nodded. "I'm aware."

"Couldn't you treat her a little better then? You're hurting her feelings with how cold you're being."

His eyes narrowed. "Did Jungkook put you up to this?"

"What? No. What does Jungkook have to do with anything?"

"Listen --"

"Can I cut in?"

You and Jimin stopped dancing and turned to the voice beside you.

Namjoon.

Jimin dropped his arms around you. "Sure, Namjoon." His eyes swept your face with a cold expression. "She's all yours."

He walked away. Your heart sank.

What just happened?