Chapter 9

Hershel carefully wrapped my hand and laughed.

"What?" I ask and chuckle a bit.
"Oh, nothing." He says and chuckles again.

"Okay now I know something's up. Spill it Hershel." I roll my eyes and laugh.
He walks towards me and sits down. He starts to pull his pant leg up.
"What're you-" I start to say.

"I was bit." He says as he exposes his wooden false leg that starts just under the knee.

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't know." I apologize.
That must've been awful. Feeling the pain of one of those things biting you and knowing you're gonna die.

"Rick... Rick was there when it happened and he cut it off to stop me from turning." He pauses to look at me.

"Why are you tellin me this?" I ask him.

"Because Rick is a good man... He is. He can keep you safe. We all can." He says.

God damnit!!!

What is up with this entire group wanting me to stay?!

What am I to them?

I'm just another kid they'd have to look after, to get food for, to 'keep safe'.

I'm leaving but I am not going to be rude to Hershel.

"I'm sure he is great for your group. He'll surely look after you all. I'm sure he'll keep you all safe, he is a great man." I say avoiding eye contact.

"You didn't say 'us'. He'll keep 'us' safe." Hershel corrects me.

"No Hershel, he'll keep you guys safe. I'm not staying here." I say for what feels like the hundredth time today.

"Okay." Is all he says, but not sadly, more like in understanding.

"Thank you again Hershel for uhm- for wrapping my hand up." I say and nod.

"It's no problem Rylie." He says and I leave the cell.

"So whatd he say? Are you okay?" Carl asks and immediately rushes to my side and pulls my wrists To look at my hand.
"He said it wasn't deep. It should heal in a couple of days." I say.

'Even though in a couple of days I won't have the nice care of Hershel to treat the possible inflammation that comes with a cut.' My subconscious adds.

"Oh. That's good." He says, probably thinking the same thing I was, only not saying it out loud, knowing what conversation this would turn into.

"Yep. Is judy asleep?" I ask, changing subject.

"No I think she's awake. I should actually get her a bottle here soon. You wanna come?" He asks.

I smile and nod.

Damn... I really don't want to take off his shirt, it's so soft and I honestly don't want to give it back.

We get into Rick and Judy's cell and see Beth holding Judith.

"Oh, Carl! Good. Here can you take her? I was just about to feed her, got the bottle ready and everything but I gotta go talk to my dad." She says.
Carl nods and Beth hands Judith to him.
"I don't think we have really met before." Beth smiles at me and holds out her hand.

I know who she is, but she's right, we haven't exactly met.
"I'm Rylie. It's nice to meet you, Beth." I smile.

"You too! Well I gotta go!" She says and walks out of the cell.

"She seems really nice." I say about Beth, and smooth Judith's hair over.

"She is. She's been through a lot though. We all have." He shrugs and puts the bottle in Judith's mouth.
I hold my hands out to hold her and he hands her to me. I sit at the end of the bunk and lean against the side, propping the bottle into her mouth.

"Like... What?" I ask. I want to know more about him. I don't know why but I do.

"Well... Where do you want me to start?" He asks. I shrug then answer
simply. "The beginning."

He chuckles. "Well... That was like a year and a half ago. My dad was a sheriff, he was shot and was in a coma when this all started. We thought he was dead but he wasn't." He continues on to tell me about the CDC, Hershel's farm, and this guy called the governor. I used to think my experiences were hard... Being by myself all this time, losing my entire group two times...
But maybe his are worse?
No, we are just in two completely different situations.
Atleast if I'm on my own I don't have to be hurt when people die because I won't be there to see it or even know. I'd be by myself, only worrying about myself. That's how id rather keep it.

"Wow." Is all I can think of to say when he is done. Judy is done with her bottle and I stand up to burp her.

"Here's her burp rag." Carl's hands me a cute little rag and I fling it over my shoulder. I bounce on my heels while patting her back.

"Did you have any younger siblings?" Carl crosses his arms and leans against the bed frame, focused intently on me and Judy. Instead of answering out loud, I just shake my head 'no'.

"It seems like you did." He shrugs, lifts off the frame, and walks closer to us.

"Nope. Never did. I babysat for this little boy down my street, but he was like 5, never any babies like dis cootie." I say making my baby voice at the end and kissing Judith on the head.

"She's falling asleep again." He laughs and smooths her hair over the same way I did earlier.

"Thats okay." I smile, and he does the same.