Chapter 42

Rylie's POV

Everyone fell asleep that night (even me). The next day went by with a blur considering we all just sat around and told each other what had happened since we'd all be separated... Of course I had no say in the matter because I don't freaking remember anything.

Carol, (i learned her name over the countless times that Rick had thanked her for baby Judith.) I guess met up with Tyreese after whatever had happened at the prison they were at. Tyreese had the baby and two girls which- sad story- died cause one killed the other and-- I'm not really sure, that situation was a hot mess. But so Tyreese and Carol were walking with Judith and that's when my sister came into the story.

Hallie and Alissa co-explained that after they got split at some cabin I didn't know about, Lauren got split from them (Lauren cut in and explained when we apparently had found her in the woods all cut up, she I guess was mugged and was thrown into a thorn bush to die.) so Hallie Sage and Alissa continued walking and eventually ran into Carol and Tyreese- hostility towards all- and eventually decided to trust each other. So then Carol had the bright idea to go to an old safe haven (Hallie and Liss thought it was terminus- but it wasn't-) and then Daryl found them in the woods and here they are now.

These reunion stories only took maybe 2 hours at the most to explain everything... The rest of the day was filled with funny stories from the past- both before and after the outbreak.

So here we are now, with Hal sharing an embarrassing story of me. Sadly, I remember this one.

"-and so she ate the dog bone cause she thought it was one of those graham crackers and-" she laughs.

"Hal! I was 5 years old!"

"It was still funny!"

I roll my eyes as I feel the heat rise up my neck and into my cheeks. "Whatever."

Out of the corner of my eye I see Carl smiling at me... Kind of staring too. In the old world, before the outbreak, I would've been creeped out.. But now... I see it as kind of adorable.. You know, he's taking in something that he might get later, a moment in time where everyone is happy and laughing and just safe. We're safe right here and right now with each other sharing these amazing moments and that's the best thing I could ever ask for, so instead of calling him out on his staring problems, I look at him, and bite my bottom lip before smiling at him.

Later that night, I was laying on the couch downstairs, staring at the silly doodles I had drawn the day before, running my fingers across the indented lines of the pen, tears down my face. I'm not sure why I started crying really. I guess it was a combination of me feeling trapped inside my own head. I was just thrown into this world of dead rising to eat the living and I'm so trapped. I want my mom. I want my dog. I want my best friend back and god knows if any of them are alive.

I take a deep breath and walk upstairs to talk to Hallie about it to see if she knows anything about mom. I'm about to knock on the door but it's cracked open, light from the room seeping through the little slit in the door. People are talking so I just stand there for a second.

"No Liss... I need to tell you something-- about the baby." I hear Hallie's voice.

"What? Hallie, if you make me go get you another chocolate bar, I will punch you." Alissa laughs.

"I'm being serious, you need to know whose it is.." Hallie says and I suck in a deep breath.

She's going to tell Alissa that it's Kyle's baby.. Alissa is going to kill her.

"Hal you're scaring me.." Alissa's voice softens.

"Before Kyle was killed-"

"Hal.." I hear Alissa's voice crack.