Chapter 9

I look at Mr. Edwards. "This can't be right ", He looks at me. "Listen kid, background checks don't lie", I shake my head. "But I've only been with... Am- Oh no this can't be right ", He looks confused. "Uhh can you catch me up on your delima? ", I look at him and pointed at the paper repeatedly. "Man I was a father!  Amber was pregnant! ", I said now waving the paper around. 

He slowly nods. I continued my rant. "How could she not tell me?! God why me?", I sanked to the floor. The realization of not only have I lost Amber but also my unborn child. Mr. Edwards sighs and rubs my back. "I'm sorry Mr.Jackson this must be hard to find out ", I sobbed awhile longer before looking up. "was the baby alive? ", "You mean developed? ", I nodded. He sighs again and nods.

I look at my hands. I was going to be a father. I can't believe it. Michael get up and let's do this!, My cautious screamed. I wasn't ready to fight. I fought for so much only to loose it all. My father, my girlfriend, and now my child. I have no more fight in me. Mr. Edwards must have read my mind because he snatched me up. He looked me straight in the eyes as I tried to fix my.now  dishoveled shirt. "Now listen here, I know your mother, And I know that she wouldn't tolerate this pity party you have going here, you know that right? ", I nod.

He helps me fix the wrinkles before continuing. "Now, I want you get your ass up there and fight! You are a grown ass man, act like it! It's harsh but you have to put Amber and that baby in the back of your mind and focus on Sadie, She needs you ", I nod. "You're right", He pats my back. "Damn right I am", I take in a deep breath.

I wipe my face and slowly walked towards the front desk. All these things running through my mind at this point. It's hard to take in. The man that was on the phone the first time gives me a small smile. "Hello sir, How may I help you? ", I return with a small smile as well. "I want to gain custody of a child, how do I do that? ", He looks at me a little oddly.

"Ok well if you wish to be a legal guardian there will most definitely require a background check, Would you like for us to run a quick one? ", "Um I think my lawyer can talk to you on those thing's ", He nods and puts on reader's glasses. I motion for Mr. Edwards to come up. He nods and walks up. I pat his back as I turn to sit down. I asked him to do all the legal work because I know nothing of that field.

After what seemed like an hour, Mr. Edwards came back smiling. I look up at him like a puppy waiting on a treat. "Well Michael, good news the process of becoming a guardian isn't long the easy part is over", I smile and nod. "Now for the harder part", My smile faded into a frown. "Well first things first they have to do an  investigation on the parents to see if your claims add up to abuse, Second we have to arrange a meeting with the parents and you and I ", The entire he goes done the to-do list, my heart sank lower and lower.

This is what I was afraid of. I do not want to meet the people who caused her pain. After he was done, he panted my shoulder. "Michael I know it may seem too hard but remember faith, You can do this ok we can do this, For Sadie? ", I nodded. "For Sadie", He smiles and we talk to the man at the front desk to set up next appointment. A week from today I'll meet the devil's partner's in crime...

To Be Continued....