Chapter 16

I hang up. Rubbing my temples I pace the room. I don't know if Sadie's pulling another stunt. And I don't know what this 'I'm a big girl' thing is about. Or 'I'm a woman now'.  Wait... I hope she's not talking about what I think? Oh God. I grab my keys and jog out. Help me Jesus...

I had to avoid any questions on my way out of the hospital. Of course my work mates glanced at me sideways as I shuffled around avoiding bumping into Mr.Manning. I'm nervous. If this is what o think this is, then I don't know what I will do. I'm not ready. I haven't read parenting books on this subject. I swear this is frustrating. 

The sad fact is, I'm a doctor freaking out of a natural stage in a girl's life. I feel for every father who has been through this. It's actually strange;  I haven't established myself as Sadie's father. I take it that I'm more of a caregiver who is a friend. Yet in society I'll be ruled as her father. This is all happening at once. I'm having a father moment.

"Hot damn! I'm having a father moment! I yelled into Clumdale Middle.school parking lot. I gasp covering my mouth as if that would help the already spilt foul language. I chuckle to myself removing my hand's as I continue my mission. I can't explain my emotions right now. I'm happy, antsy, scared, and sadly unprepared. But all the well I'm proud.

I stroll into the main office of Clumdale Middle School. There at the front desk was a woman of middle age. As I approached the desk her age became more apparent. Given the fact that even her facial moles had grey hair's and wrinkles.  "Hello I'm here to pick-up my...Daughter Sadie Jackson... she's having her period so I kind of need to.. uhh... help I guess.", I chirped happily. The woman whose name plate read, Doris Farmer, glanced up at me before replying. "Whoopie do!....Sign here...", She instructed tapping a clipboard with paper's attached to it.

I couldn't help but stare at her boney finger's. They also looked like they haven't seen lotion since 300 B.C. *Lol excuse my corny joke! ;)* I nod anyway and quickly scribbled my signature. "I'll call her if you want me to?", I shake my head. "I'll grab her.", She nods. "Room 602...", She explained pointing again with a boney index finger.

"Thank-you... ", I chirped. She gives a weak smile as I stroll off. "Alright Mike, you've got this. You're Dr.Jackson after all...You. have. got. this! ", I Repeated aloud to myself ignoring my clear grammar errors. Within minutes I come across Sadie's class room. I take in a deep breath and exhale slowly. Once my hand was on the knob, I knew there was no turning back. When I entered the class room, all eyes switched on me. I wave greeting the children silently trying to spot Sadie.

After examining twice I gave up. "Are you looking for pissy pants? ", One of the kid's questioned. I turn around facing the class trying to indicate the smart guy. "No...I'm looking for Sadie Jackson.. ", I said with a hint of annoyance. The child doesn't reveal himself but I hear giggles. "Pissy pants is with Mrs.Polite in the bathroom ", The child finally said revealing himself. Trying to keep my composure, I ignore his rude comment and thank him.

"You're welcome pissy pants senior! ", The child resplied along with a few laughs from his classmates. "Aww you're such a smart little guy huh? Let me guess you stopped wearing your nappy at five? Or maybe six? And looks like you have another tooth growing in. I'm no dentist but I think that's going to cause major problem's in the future.. ", I replied with a smile. The children ooh in response. I chuckle and walk out to find the bathroom.

When I find it forgetting I'm a man, I just waltzed in. "Sadie? Mrs.Polite?", I called walking passed three stalls. I stop and wait for a response. "Michael? I-Is that you?", Sadie said through sniffles. I smile. "Yes princess it's me. Where's your teacher?", "She went to the nurse...", "Oh I see...Are you okay?", I asked now standing outside her stall. "No, I'm scared...", I sigh. "Don't be scared it's normal for girls or women to have peri-", "Michael don't say it...", "What it's just your peri- ", "Michael!...", I chuckle.

"okay okay......period", She groans. "You just had to say it? Michael can we go home?", I sigh. "Yes... we can go home. Are you able to come out?", "I think...you just have to get my stuff out of the classroom... I can't do it...", "Open the door..", I instructed calmly. She doesn't respond. "Sadie it's just me...come on...", She sighs and fiddles with the stall door.

Once she emerges in her now stained khakis and ruffled purple polo shirt I give her a warm smile and hug her. "Michael I'm disgusting... ", I sigh. "No babygirl you're human...Now let's go, we have some thing's to get...", Sadie breaks the hug. "What thing's?..", I chuckle. You'll see... She continues her quizzed stare. "it'll be fun!", I convinced taking her hand. At least it'll be for me...

To be Continued...