Chapter 24

After my eventful morning. Which wasn't eventful. It was more so embarrassing. I just need to be careful next time Olivia and I have a "moment". During my ride to the hospital, I took time to ponder. I pondered on my relationship with Olivia, and what I told her this morning. More so what I almost told her.

I don't know if I am moving too fast with her. I mean, I ordered Bill to take her to pack clothes for a few days stay. What really worries me is my Sadie. I'm still working on being a father. I haven't gotten the jist; especially with decision making. Whilst pondering, I remembered my busy schedule for today. Which meant I would have to put my personal life to the side in order to focus on my patients.

"Thanks Bill...I'll call you in the morning!", I yelled from across the hospital parking lot. Bill shouts something back but I found it inaudible so I just continued to wave. But by the smirk on his face, it might have been another one of his gritty jokes. Once Bill was out of sight, I turn to enter my domain. When I say domain, I mean a hectic hospital with doctors and nurses scurrying from left to right. "Hello Dr. Jackson, How is your morning? ", Simone the new nursing assistant asked, sweeping beside me.

I smile and shrug. "It's okay I guess, just waiting for rush hour...", I breathed, grabbing my chart from the front desk of the main lobby. She smiles, raising a suspicious eyebrow. "Well isn't someone the happy camper?", I chuckle. "I'm sorry, I just checked in and already my mood altered.", I replied apologetically.

She giggles. "Awe that's quite alright doctor... you have a free pass", She enthused, with a giggle lingering in her tone. I nod still smiling. Sensing the upcoming awkward silence, Simone grabs her notepad and smiles before ending our conversation. "Well... You are busy and I should go...", She trailed off. I nod again knowingly. "Yeah...So see you around... ", Her face turn a deep shade of red. "Okay... See you around... ", She said backing away sheepishly.

I chuckle and turn on my way to my office. The whole conversation between Simone and I replays in my head. I can't help but think She has taking a liking to me. It's a bit elementary, but she wasn't so transparent about her flirting. I shrug it off. I have to stay focus for tonight especially; It's rush hour night.

I'm sitting in my office looking over my latest patient; Miss Ellen's, paperwork. She's a a 88 year old suffering from type 2 diabetes. It's a huge epidemic in the African American department. The number's on the percentage on this disease is crazy. She's really suffer from a high level of water fluid in her leg's.

We (the hospital ) havd tried everything to stop this bloating, but to no avail. That's another problem added to the "scientists are working on" list. I was trying to look through her past medication's and find out what can help. Someone knocks on my door rather urgently. "Uhh come in", I said closing the file. The owner of the knock quickly enters. It's Mr. Manning. 

"Umm Jackson I need you in room E23 we have a burn victim...I need you to hurry please! ", He ordered, panting a little. I hop up from my stool. "Okay Okay... I'm coming let me get dressed", I said snatching my usual uniform for situations like this. He nods. "Okay hurry Jackson... poor kid", He said jogging out.

I let out a small sigh as I mentally prepare myself for what's next. When I deal with children in the hospital, I think of Sadie. That evening when I found out she was badly beaten. Through rage I felt, the hurt, the pain. All those emotions are flowing back all at once. Feeling the need to cry, i quickly pull myself together. I slide on my scrubs and jog out.

Mr. Manning meets me at the door of the exhaust and burn room. "Thanks Jackson... I know It's last minute...", I nod. "What exactly happened?...", I asked through my surgical mask. Mr. Manning frowns. "We don't know what exactly happened... But he has suffered severe Burns..life threatening actually.. miracle he's still responsive...", I sigh.

"Poor kid...Alright I'm ready....", Mr. Manning nods. "Go get'em tiger", I shake my head smiling behind my mask. I turn to the door and take in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Emptying all negative thoughts with a silent prayer, I enter.

When I entered the room, all eyes turned on me for a split second. I nod at each one, signaling for the to go back to what they were doing. They hovered over the child so I couldn't see him. I slip on my coat while Jeffrey; a male nurse, helped me with my gloves. I thank him and walked towards the surgery table. One I set eyes on wasn't a little boy, but a victim of someone's carelessness. Questions burned my mind as disgust burned my heart.

"How long has he been this way?", I said speaking of his plethora of Burns. Through boy; who I think is twelve, is literally covered, head to toe with burns. The nurses shrug. "No one knows doctor... ", One aside softly. "Yeah...no one told us anything... ", another added on. I sigh. "Alright... first let's try to disinfect these Burns... then we can worry about the damaged tissue... Okay? ", They all nod. I whisper another silent prayer before beginning....

To Be Continued...