Victor Zsasz [Hesitant]

Request: Victor Zsas, you're a guard in Arkham Asylum and the prisoners are escaping, you track Zsas down and lock him up again but don't have the heart to do it.

A/N: Gotham series.

--

Working as a guard at Arkham had gotten easier as the days past, the asylum prepared for each unexpected occurrences and got better at controlling them as they came. The salary wasn't terrible, another thing to be grateful for as you got to sometimes sit around on your ass, watching the cells from the overseer watchtower.

You've seen many patients throw their tantrums, heard their spiteful insults, smelled their rebellion. Yet, one really caught your eye, trapping himself in your mind. Victor Zsasz is an anti-social sociopath, you were to protect him and others from his tactics.

Yet, some days you had to hear screaming, or yelling, or begging to be let out. Some nights he even cried to himself, other times you and a few fellow guards had to restrain him from hurting himself or others. Having to drag him to medical to heal his agitated tallies.

Other days he was calm and content, either reading a book, usually Animal Farm, or playing chess with either Tetch or Crane. On days like those he kept to himself, quiet, held a stone face when alone, as if he ached for a moment.

The sight made you ill, like watching an animal trapped in a cage. It tugged on you. You had the keys to let him out, and when the day came you froze up, you made a mistake.

Transferred Blackgate inmates and Arkham patients yelling, barging out of their cells, furniture being thrown, glass breaking, alarms alerting an immediate shut down. You assisted other guards in placing patients and inmates back in their cells, restraining them, protecting the doctors.

Rumor was that recent patient​, Valeska, had caused the sudden outbreak, shutting Arkham down into his own little mad house. You traveled down the hall of Cell D, a guard needed assistance. He was trying to hold off Zsasz and put him back in his cell, right back into the cage.

"Finally!" The guard yells with slight relief. He pulled and pushed on Zsasz, even attempting to hit him. "Get over here and help me!" You grabbed your baton, hesitant.

Time felt slow as you swing on the guard, hitting him non-stop, past knocking him unconscious. You had to force yourself to stop, dropping the bent baton, nearly falling when stepping away from your injured collegue.

Zsasz only stared at you, he said nothing. You were at loss of words. "I..." You shifted. "You... I couldn't..."

"Find Falcone and ask for me when you need anything." He bends to the guard immediately snapping his neck before you could protest.

You took a breath. "For fuck sake."