Chapter-18

My mind had its own tragic hit, only a minute ago, but my subconscious declares me concerned about Ashton too. I quickly roll my eyes over to his lean figure, helplessly sitting on the edge of the cemented floor. 

"Ashton." I speak up with a soft and low voice, like calling out helplessly, without any strength or hope.

He rolls his eyes over to me, and nods. He shifts closer, to hear me, and I try to find my words.

"What about Stace?" I ask, and soon I start to regret it. He is drunk, and he has no control over his emotions, and then, I am asking him about his lover, who is gone, on his birthday itself. How worse could it be?

"She's gone. You know, I tried to stop her, but...but..she did not look back at me." He shrugs, and his eyes go wet, as he gently passes his fingers through his hair. I try to find words to express how sorry I am, but his broken and strained voice speaks up.

"And i must tell you," He starts again, finding lost courage, "I'm not stupid, Diana" He almost reaches to the end of emotional strength inside him. At this moment, both of our lives are at the same turn, unbalanced, broken and alone.

"I know." I manage to whisper, as my voice tries to calm him down.

"I will let her go, if she wants to", he adds, "because I don't fall for people. Not so easily. They fall for me. And if she's one of them, she will come back." He adds, laughing, his pride shown off. For a moment, his words sounded terrible to me, but another moment, made me realize how hard this is for him.

"Yeah" , my soft voice agrees, "Where did you see Niall last time?" I inquire, as I need to know, not caring much about my pride or ego. 

"I saw him getting out to the parking lot with some girl..uhm..I don't know her." He shrugs, and the emotional strength of me, breaks down to the smallest. Another girl, means that I was only one of a lot of girls. My first love, gave me the hardest trials of all.

"I'm sorry." He pats my shoulder, and rubs it. At least, there is someone I can look up to now, at least tonight. I'm not walking alone home, and I'm not close to any of those drunk-yards.

"Its okay." I wipe off the tear streaming down my face, and get up.

"You want to go home?" He stands, and leads me down to the lower terrace, as he runs his fingers through his hair.

"Yes." I quickly respond, and walk behind him.

We soon reach the hall with the dim lights, and I discover it to be less crowded than earlier. Girls from school, as bitchy as they are, eyeliner's wet steaming down their faces, and people with cups in their hands fill a little corner of the place. I quickly look away, and follow Ashton outside the house. He looks back at me, and pulls me into an unexpected gentle hug.

"Its okay." He whispers softly, and my mind flashes back to me the memories of me and Niall walking into the house, from the same path.

"Thank you, Ash." I whisper, and I'm actually thankful because he's been here with me, though this is the longest we ever talked.

He leads me further, and I soon reach the parking lot, as he pulls me into the car. Breathing in the same air, which has the smell of alcohol is uneasy, so I decide to roll down the windows. It is nippy outside, but the winds and the view of snow settled on the footpaths is somewhat relaxing. 

My mind is spinning, and I feel uncomfortable being around Ashton, when I am supposed to be with Niall, but this isn't any worse part of me. I can't believe Niall walked out. But what's harder to believe is that, he walked out with a girl, while I was waiting for him to be back into my arms.