Chapter Twenty Seven

"Angel what's wrong? Who called you and why are you so jittery?" Dashawn asked as we swiftly walked in our hotel room. I was holding in the tears because I'm tired of crying and I can't lose another child, I just can't.

"It was your mom. She said Shawna was hit by a car and a woman was driving. It was Alvarez's wife. I didn't even know he was married!" I said frantically grabbing my hand bag.

"We need to go! I'll call someone I know that works here to pack our stuff Angel lets go!" He said and we rushed back out of the room. He called a cab while we were in the elevator. We walked out of the hotel and the cab was there in less than five minutes.

"Mama, which hospital?"

"Southside, hurry Dashawn."

He hung the phone up quick. "Southside Regional Medical Center, hurry!" He said frantically. The driver sped down the streets like we were in a Nascar race. I think it took us about fifteen minutes to get to the hospital. Once we arrived, I was the first to hop out while Dashawn threw twenty dollars at the driver.

I ran through the doors and saw Shawndrea And Chewey with Kai. "Drea what happened to my baby girl? What do you know?" I said hysterically.

"The kids were playing outside. The Anderson's from down the block Have a little girl Shawna's age, and they were playing kickball together. Kai was on the porch with me. The ball went into the street and Shawna went to get it. I was looking down at Kai, but as soon as I was about to tell her to wait, She was in the street and the car was coming. Dashawn I'm so sorry." She said looking at him. I looked and saw tears were streaming down his face.

"Mama it's not your fault." He said hugging her as she cried. "But it is! I was supposed to be watching her." She said and he just rubbed soothing circles on her back.

"What did you find out about Alvarez's wife that no one knew about?" I asked trying to change the subject about who was at fault.

"Well she's alive. The officer said she had this planned accept the getting hit part. At least that's what she told them. She's from Honolulu. How Alvarez found her is a mystery to me. She never told anyone why she did it. I believe Alvarez told her to, or she wanted revenge for him. Turns out they had been married for six years now. They wanted a child, but she couldn't have children." Uncle Chewey said and it dawned on me.

"So when he found out about Jay, He came back to take him?" I asked. "I think so Angel, but you never know with that crazy person." Drea said.

For three hours, three long hours we waited for them to tell us how our baby girl was.

"Family of Shawna Merciér" The doctor said and we walked up to him. "I'm her father and this is her mother. How is she man?" Day Day asked and the doctor took a deep breath. "She has two broken ribs, a torn ACL, and her left wrist is fractured. She was in a lot of pain so we put her in a medical induced coma. She should be up in about two to three days, but when she wakes up She will be in pain but minimal. The car hit her left side so that's why her injuries are on that side. She's a strong little girl too. She had a gash the side of my fist on the back of her head, but we cleaned it and wrapped it up. She's a trooper I tell you that much." He said and I smiled because I knew she was.

"Well when can we see her?" I asked. "You can see her Now, but I'd only advise you and her father to go alone. That's hospital protocol for people her age and younger until day three of her being in the hospital." The doctor said and we nodded.

He lead us to her room and I walked in first nearly falling to my knees. My baby girl looked horrible. I'm just happy that she's alive.

"My baby." I cried as I grabbed her hand. She was just laying there, motionless and it didn't seem like my Shawna Berry. My Shawna Berry is usually energetic and full of life, and now she's like this. Dashawn Sat beside me with tears in his eyes.