Chapter ~1~

•EDITED AS OF 3-22-17•

Chapter ~1~ Percy's POV ~

I sat on my bed in the Poseidon Cabin, sunlight filtering through the still slightly dirty window.

My backpack already full of all my stuff, sitting on the floor beside my feet. Today I was supposed to be going back home, the summer was over and, although that did sadden me a little, I was excited to see my mom and Paul again. Despite our constant Iris Messaging, I missed her a lot. 

Now that the war with Gaea was over, maybe things could get better. Maybe I wouldn't have to go on any quests for awhile. Take a rest from all of that, take Annabeth out for a date maybe. But still, even after the war ended months ago, the memories of Tartarus still haunted me, in the back of my mind like a dark whisper.

And the final fight with Gaea...

Not all the Seven made it. And I blamed myself for it, the fact I hadn't had been strong enough to keep everyone alive that day...

I stood up, trying to ignore the memories, and grabbed my backpack slinging it over my shoulder. Taking one last look around my cabin that grew to be my new home away from home and turned away.

I walked over to the cabin door and opened it, the corners of my mouth lifting in a smile at Camp Half-Blood. My favorite place in the world. I shut my cabin door and started towards Thalia's tree. (Which she was no longer in, of course)

My mom had agreed to pick me up around there. But first, I was going to make a quick detour to say goodbye to Annabeth. Although she promised to come visit me at the apartment next week, which I was glad of.

I knocked on the Athena cabin door and one of her younger sisters opened it, her long hazel hair pulled back in a pony tail and a wide smile, a faint smell of cinnamon in the air. I don't recall seeing her at camp before but figured she was new here.

"Hey there," I said and smiled. "is Annabeth here?"

"Uhm... " the little girl seemed to think on this a moment. "No. She left earlier. Her dad picked her up."

"Oh..." I frowned a little, surprised my wise girl didn't say goodbye. I looked back to the girl and smiled again anyways. "Well, thanks for the help. Have a nice day, uh.."

"Oh, I'm Cally. Nice to meet you Percy. " she smiled at me, giving a small wave before going back inside.

"Bye..." I sighed and turned and started back towards the other side of camp.

"Bye-bye!" I heard Cally call, before closing the door to the Athena cabin.

I kept my focus trained on Thalia's tree, bummed that I couldn't give her a kiss before heading home to New York. But I suppose it wasn't to bad, I'd still see her next week.

To be honest, I couldn't even imagine my life without Annabeth. After going through Tartarus, she really was my only lifeline, my one tether to the mortal world. She helped me through all the rough spots, and I wouldn't doubt for a second that, without her, I would be dead right now. That, or making myself comfortable in an insane asylum for demigods. Honestly I didn't like the idea of either of those.

I was so lost in my train of thought that I didn't notice I was already at the tree, but I couldn't see Mom's car anywhere near. However, it wasn't that odd for her to be 'fashionably late'.

"Percy!" A voice called from behind me, and I turned around to see Grover frantically running towards me. I cocked my head in confusion, and could tell something was off.

"What's wrong Grover?" I asked once he reached me, out of breath from an apparently long run.

"Annabeth!" Grover breathed out, sucking in quick breaths when he came to a stop. My face paled.