Friends Are Better Than Family

After first period Jeremy and Sean walked Makala and I to our next class, when Mr. Johnson greeted us.

"Hello Alex. Nice of you to join us in class for once." 

I groaned as I turned to face him, " the class hasn't started yet Sir, I still have a few minutes to change my mind." 

Then sat down in my seat, not bothering to look at his annoyed expression. 

Out of everyone he was my least favorite teacher. 

He expected all of his students to fail his class yet forced us to work overtime and get a lot of stuff done without teaching the lesson to us. 

 But either way I was stuck in here for fifty one long minutes. The worst part was new rule he set for my class; Makala and I weren't allowed to sit together anymore. He knew that her and I were best friends and made sure to make our day a lot worse. 

It wasn't even fair. The only reason he didn't like us was because we knew Sean and Jeremy, his least favorite students. It wasn't our fault. Sadly he thought that we caused as much mischief as those two idiots. Sometimes we did, but definitely not in his class. Either way he didn't understand that I just wanted to pass this class and get school over with as fast as possible.

Oh well. Listening to Mr. Johnson I quickly spaced out again....

After another two classes everyone was able to go to lunch. Jeremy and I had already reserved our spot at the lunch table while Sean and Makala went in the school lunch lines. 

Today I packed a turkey sandwich, chips and two cookies while Jeremy had a peanut butter and jelly and a soda. Facing him my hand reached for his coca cola. "If you give me your soda then I'll give you two cookies," I bargained, trying to put on my puppy dog face. 

Jeremy shook his head, " This is for Makala."

 I internally groaned. He would do anything for that girl. Glaring at him I knew that he wouldn't go back on his answer, but I also already knew why. 

Jeremy came from a bad family.

 Long story short, when he was little his mother and father died during a camping trip. Two drunk idiots were going hunting in the forest and carried guns with them, when they saw movement in the distance they didn't even hesitate before taking several shots. Jeremy witnessed everything when he was just seven years old. 

In a few hours they were found and arrested, not even knowing what they did wrong before they were sober again. They're still serving time in jail and would be for most of their lives.

When he didn't have any family to move in with he was put into foster care. He'd had a pretty awful childhood, I felt bad for him. 

After a few years of moving to new houses, his long lost uncle appeared and took him in. So it was a trade for trade. 

His uncle lived alone, in a decent neighborhood, but he needed help with some of the bills and offered Jeremy a place to stay if he could help out a little and Jeremy accepted. Not minding do a little work as long as he could still be with family.

 But It didn't help that Jeremy played soccer. He barely had any time on his hands. So sometimes we would do his homework for him, because what else were friends for. Other times he had to do homework when he drove for games instead of hanging out with friends. 

But that all changed when he started dating Makala, he wasn't the anti-social guy wandering down the halls and became the new and confident guy that we now today. She basically brought him back to life.