Risks Pt 2

By the time the week had ended, we were located in Canada. The most cold fucking place in the world, go figure. It was late in the afternoon and everyone was tired. I could see the rings under everyone's eyes, especially Shanik's.

I sighed, he needed to take care of himself. I didn't know how to get him to listen to me, but I had to try. 

We were in the middle of a small town, if someone happened to still live here then there seemed to be no sign of it. 

"Alright, let's spread out.." Shanik said, "grab anything you can and we can meet back here in ten" Makala nodded, but Jeremy took a second to answer. 

"Jeremy?" 

He looked up, "can I go with Alex, I wanted to get some things.. settled between us."

I gave him a questioning look. 

"No," Shanik said, his face as cold as ice.

I sighed again, "Hey, it's fine. You trust him right.."

"Of course i trust him but..."

I cut him off, "... and you trust me?"

He nodded, "yes it's just.. just please don't get hurt okay."

This time I nodded, thankful that he didn't put up as much of a fight as I thought he would. 

Walking off with Jeremy I could feel Shanik's eyes linger on me for a few seconds before we turned a corner. 

"What did you want to discuss with me? I don't see what needs to be settled."

He took a moment, "It's not between us that needs to be settled. I know that these past few weeks have been hard on you, learning about us; what we are and what we do. About maybe being his Sodani..." 

"What do you mean maybe? He didn't exactly specify about that." I interrupted. 

He suddenly stopped in his tracks, " I think that that's a conversation for you and Shanik" 

Rolling my eyes I ran ahead of him, stopping him from walking again.

" Please? You know that he won't tell me himself. By the time that happens we could be on our way to war again." 

He still shook his head, "It wouldn't be right for me to say. Either way you'll find out, I promise.... he just wants to make sure your ready."

That made me snort, it's not like I was ready for any of the other stuff that had happened these past two or so months.

I wasn't ready to be captured, to know about their TRUE FORM, to have several people die in front of my eyes, or a new friends die in my arms.

But he wanted me to be ready for this??? It's not like it could get any worse. Right?

Getting pulled out of my trance I noticed that we had entered a store, it looked like... was it a Target?

"Let's get a few things and then leave, only things that you absolutely need"

I  nodded, "I'll go on this side of the store and we can cover more ground," I pointed to the girls section. 

"Alright" he said, " But make sure to be ear distance away in case we get into some trouble."

Already starting to walk away I glanced at some of the items, skimming the clothes section. Until I came upon a beautiful red coat and some black fur boots, it would be needed since it was a cold place here. I'm sure that Shanik would like them. I placed the coat over my arm and changed into the boots before looking at the food aisles. 

There were a few things that I was able to grab, bags of chips and cereals. That was all that was left from the non perishables.  Everything else was gone. 

Realizing that I'd probably gone to far from Jeremy i called out to him, "Jeremy!" 

I got no response. 

"Jeremy!" I called again, "Where are you?" 

Again no response. 

Suddenly I got chills up my spine, looking around I decided to walk around and find him, it was when I got to the mens section that I saw something. No someone.

"Jer...."

I was pulled backwards, my mouth covered. 

Squirming in their arms I was leaned back onto the floor and suddenly found Shanik above me, his eyes wide. His hand went up to his lips to silence me, I nodded.

Taking a breath, he started to pick me up. 

I was able to feel my heart pounding through my chest. What was going on? Looking around I caught sight of a person, he was a few aisles away from us.

He had the same features as Jeremy, that was why I was so confused.  But where was Jeremy actually located then?

That's when I heard the guy speak, "Hey, over here guys! Score!" Then other footsteps soon followed, one woman and another boy. They looked to be about in their early twenties. Their clothes were a mess, Ripped into shreds, faces black from ash and they smelled foul, even from here. 

"Wow! Come on hurry. Pack that up and then we can go, this place is giving me the creeps" the others nodded. 

Before I knew it they were starting to walk away, the first boy and the girl were holding hands, while the second boy was walking ahead of them, skipping across the tile floor. I watched as the couple whispered to each other, finally letting go of each others hands, the girl got something out of her bag. Holding the object to her leg I could a quick flash of silver before she pulled the trigger; killing the man in front. 

I was about to scream when Shanik's hand ended up back over my mouth. He held me in a tightening grip, his legs locking my body to the floor. Tears rolled down my face, what had that girl done? She'd just killed one of her friends! What was wrong with her? 

I knew Shanik wouldn't let go of me until they were far enough away that I wouldn't catch up.

So immediately I yelled at him, "What the hell?! We should've.... Why didn't you want to get them!"

He looked down towards the floor, "This is what life is like now Alex."

I blinked, "What the fuck is that suppose to mean?"

He sighed, his eyes never reaching higher than my waist, "Ever since Maliki has... declared his reign, all the humans have had shortage on food so.... they all fight for it in order to survive. That's just how it works."

I felt like throwing up, "So this is how humanity dies? By killing each other? I refuse to believe it. I didn't escape just to watch the world burn"

He took a breath, "That's why instead your watching what's left of their ashes"  

Hey guys! Please tell me what your thinking! I need some comments to know how I'm doing!!! Thanks. - VoidStiles24