Questions and Regrets

Feeling something cold against my leg I started to jump,it felt like ice! Then I felt it again, and another time. Finally I could hear a wine come from Sean. Shooting my head up I saw his eyes on me, he gestured to the ground, insinuating that he wanted me off.

So sliding to the floor I rubbed my eyes, yawning. Walking a few feet I tried to wake myself up. I couldn't see Makala and Jeremy for a moment and immediately I wondered where they had gone to out of curiosity.

Then looking behind I didn't see Sean either. "Can you pass me my clothes please?" I heard from behind some underbrush, quickly opening my bag I threw them over. And once again, Sean was out within a instant, fully dressed.

"Where's Makala and Jeremy?" 

He pointed towards the woods. "They went to use the restroom and they have a safe zone over there. Food and water. We have ten minutes until we leave again." 

I groaned, putting a hand on his shoulder, "why do we still have to keep running? We're long gone, they can't catch us from here."

He clenched his jaw.

 "They won't stop. We need as much distance from them as possible. We can't stop because they won't. Not even for a second." 

I huffed, letting the emotions get the best of me and standing up to him.

"Sean you need to sleep! I can see how your all tired! We rest for a half hour then we can go back." 

Suddenly he pulled away, putting his hands in his hair and sighing. He was frustrated, pacing back in forth in the small clearing we were permitted in.

"You don't get it Alex! I can't risk it!"

"Risk what?!" I yelled, frustrated as well. 

Let's face it. He looked terrible. His eyes had purple rings under them from exhaustion, he was awfully pale and thin, as if he hadn't been eating either.

 I was scared about his health.

"You!" He yelled, his hands landing on my small frame.

I flinched, taken aback. What did he say?

"I can't risk you Alex! I would die before they could get to you!" 

Suddenly I felt awful. He was doing all this for me? Why would his people want me? Looking into my eyes I could tell that he was reading my mind but he didn't answer me.

"Sean tell me! Why do they want me?" I quieted my voice, trying to calm him down a little bit. It seemed to work.

"Because..." His voice started to break, "...because your my Sodani."

I gave him a questioning look, a what? 

This time he seemed to gain his composure, "your my soulmate Alex. And they want to take you away from me. They want to take the most important thing in my life away" his voice quieted, as his hands slipped from my figure and  he collapsed to the floor, in a complete mess. 

Completely broken.

I held back a sob, it hurt me to see him in pain like this, and it was all my fault.