The Chosen

After running for a half an hour I stopped, taking a drink from the lake next to me.

 I was tired, my body worn down, cold and hungry. 

But I couldn't stay here for long. If the Invaders found me then I would be dead, who knows if Jeremy and Sean already were? I wouldn't be able to live if they were dead. They were family. More than family....they were part of me, what made me who I am.

 They were all I had left.

Searching for a good place to set up camp I found a well hidden cave close to the water, it was small too, which was good for containing heat during the night. 

Setting my backpack down I looked at what was inside. Two blankets, an apple, three granola bars, a full water bottle and a change of clothes. That would be good for a few more days.

My knife and the picture of my family was in my pocket. It was going to be rough with little supplies, but I'd have to make it work.

 Taking out the blankets I settled in, resting my head on my bag for a pillow. 

Tomorrow I would find my friends, than we would get out of here. Out of the woods, the state, even the country. Until we were safe. ALL OF US. There was no other way. I refused to believe it. 

As my mind wandered I finally fell asleep, a nightmare invading my mind.

We were in front of my house, starting to head towards it when Sean suddenly came up from behind me and grabbed my hand.

 "Don't go in there," He said. "It isn't safe." and I listened to him

We stood there for a minute before I could spot a figure walk over to the structure, she looked tired, pale, blood coated her body, shirt ripped and hair tangled but somehow I could still tell who it was

"Mom don't!" I shouted, just as her hand touched the door handle, my heart sank.

In seconds my house was in flames, my mom screaming. Trying to get out of Sean's grasp I screamed loud enough for the whole world to hear me.....but I forgot that  there was nobody left anyways. 

Jumping up I put my hand on my chest, my heart was racing and I couldn't breath, what the hell was that? 

Looking at my watch I could see some light come through the vines that hide me in the cave. It was probably 9 o'clock or so, judging by the sun's height in the sky. A strong breeze made me shiver as I went back into my hiding spot.