Chapter 11 of Part 2.

“Mom! I’m so sorry. I—“

“Stop it, Jade.”

“But Mom—“

“Shh, Jade.” My mom said, stroking my hair, while I’m on her arms.

I feel like a baby again. Her princess. Her treasure. Mom used to do this when I was still little, while I’m crying. I sobbed to her harder as I absorbed my mom’s hug’s magic.

Kelly and Aunt Veronica left us alone, giving us some private time together.

“How did you know I’m here?” I asked her.

“Ask my sister.” She said coolly.

“You’re in speaking terms?” I gawked at her.

“All this time.”

“You knew where I am since the beginning?” This is crazy.

“Yes, baby. I know in times of trouble, you’d be looking—“

“Why didn’t you told me? Why didn’t she—“

“Don’t act like I’ve done something wrong. It’s you who had done something, yet I didn’t became angry with you. Instead, I gave you space. I waited for your time. I understood you, even if it’s hard. And by the way, I asked her persistently about you.”

“Oh Mom!” I hugged her and cried to her again.

“Shh. So, what’s been happening to you? I wanna know.”

I told her everything. That Carl first promised me, then left. That when he left me, I was broke and was a mess. That I have asked Kelly many favours for this, but she never gets tired. That I thought that she and my aunt had been sick at each other’s presence, and I kept worrying about them. That I finally understood her, now that I’ve become a mother, too. That I learned to love my baby and came back to my old self. That I’m now fixing everything, even though slowly.

That I learned to love Daniel, too, and I cry for his pain.

“Daniel never fails to visit me. He always checks how I’ve been going, and saying he felt he has to do this. That he needed to take care of everything that’s been close to you. I liked him. I admired him for his love for my daughter. And I want him for you.” She said.

“How is he?”

“The last time I saw him was yesterday, after Veronica called me about you.”

“Has he found out already?”

“Yes. He brought me here.”

“He’s here!?”

“I think so. I invited him to come with me here in your room, too. But he said that sometime, you’ll be with each other soon.”

“Oh Daniel.” I whispered. “I wanna see you.”

Now that I’m here, I’m backing out? Great. That’s so me. Coward. Afraid. Helpless.

I came here with her mom. I offered her a ride. I planned to talk to her when she’s okay. I wanna check and visit her. Now that she is, I can’t go inside and see her.

Why?

Is it because I’m shy? I don’t think so. I waited for her so long. I cannot think of anything to be shy of.

Then what is it?

I thought I should need something to think of.

Again, what is it?

I decided to walk and think things over. I am not afraid of rejection now, I had already concluded that she has feelings for me.

“Won’t you come?” Her mom asked me.

“Oh. Uhm.. well, I have something to do first.” Then I went back to my car.

I waited for her to disappear, but I didn’t go somewhere. I was just sitting inside it, thinking and gripping the steering wheel tightly.

I was upset with myself. Starting the engine, I angrily steered my car and fastened my seat belt as I had a furious drive. I blinked back angry tears and wondered what is happening to me.

What the hell is wrong with me? I cannot understand my own self. I cannot even help myself.

She’s back. Jade is at reach. I scolded myself for at least a hundred times already. But everytime I got that gut to go to her room, I was taken aback by some uncertainty building up in my heart.

But I don’t know what it is.

I need to search it. I need to clear my thoughts and wash away the hesitations. I need to be myself again before seeing her.

The trees are flying around me. I realized I was still driving at top speed, so I slowed down. I intended to go there now. I already found the answer. I brought back with me tulips, her favourite. And I readied myself to my fear.

“Ignore it, Daniel. You said that you would accept her, no matter what.”

I realized that I was afraid, not to see her, but to see what I would see in her.