Chapter 6 of Part 2.

“Oh hi, Kelly. Wait for a second while I call Jade upstairs. I think she’s—“

“Oh no, it’s not her that I want to talk to. You.” I said to her.

“Why?” she asked me.

“I want to do something for her.” I said with full confidence.

After receiving Daniel’s letter for Jade, I was deeply moved to voice out my feelings. I want to shake her. I want to wake her senses and try to make her go back. Really go back. The Jade Lawrence that everybody loves, that Jade Lawrence which is my best friend. Even though she seems to be fine, she seems to be peaceful, even though she smiles again, I know she’s feeling something deep inside her heart. She’s feeling empty inside her. She’s afraid. She’s not confident enough to make a stand for herself. She’s unhappy if you examine her.

“I know she wanted to go back now, but she still can’t. She measures her feelings as not trustworthy, and she lost a lot of self-confidence.” I said to Aunt Veronica.

“I thought I’m the only one who sees her like this. I can’t tell that she’s a mess, she’s been disciplined because of this, but she’s empty. Her laughs are shallow. She seemed so different. When I talk to her, sometimes I feel like I’m talking to a stranger with Jade’s body.” She confided me.

“I feel that too. And as her best friend, I want to do something for her. This is troubling me a lot.”

I told her about the letter, too. I told her my feelings when I saw Daniel, and what I felt when Daniel handled me the letter.

“Oh Kelly, you’re here.” I turned around and saw Jade standing on the stairs.

“You’re here since when?”

“I believe that I should be the one asking that.”

“Jade, I thought you were asleep? I told Kelly that you were sleeping, but I can wake you up, but she said she doesn’t want to disturb you.” Aunt Veronica told her.

“Oh yeah, I thought it would be rude if I’ll disturb your beauty rest.” I added.

“I was asleep, Auntie.” She said at her aunt. Then she turned to me. “You’re such a sweetie. Anyway, let’s go to my room now. I’m already refreshed.” Jade tugged my arm and led me to her room.

Shocking. When we entered her room, I was speechless. It was a well-organized room now. Unlike before, she fixed her room. It was a nice change.

“Wow, since when you’ve learned to clean your room, fix your bed, and organize your things?” I teased her.

“How dare you to accuse me as an idiot?”

“Have I said anything like that? I haven’t!”

“You sounded so. Why are you so defensive, by the way? Guilty!” And Jade tickled me.

“HEY! This is unfair! I can’t tickle you because you’re pregnant. Arrrrrggghhh!” I laughed, then I fell on the floor.

“Oww! That hurts. You bitch--!”

“Hahahahahaha! You lost at me. Well, you always do.”

“No, I’m not!”

“Whatever. What are you here for?”

“Visiting you. Seriously, isn’t it that obvious?”

“You’re calling me an idiot again!”

“Whatever! I’m here for something.”

“What is it?” Her face suddenly became serious.

“Here.” I pulled the letter from my bag.

“Oh.” Her eyes were instantly filled by tears on recognizing the familiar handwriting on the front of the envelope.

“Would you want me to go to the living room first so you could read it to yourself?” I asked her.

“No. I’ll read this later.” She smiled at me while wiping her tears. “But what are you here for besides this?” She held the envelope in my face.

“We need to talk.” I said.