Chapter 26

Harry's POV:

The wind was whooshing ecstatically through my hair as I looked for the golden snitch. The field was covered in green and red, members of the school switching to which ever side they wish would win. Mostly Gryffindor though. I chuckled at that. Players were storming through the air, throwing around a quaffed as if it were no body's business.

I sat high up in the air, my head turning and eyes rapidly searching for any sign of the snitch. Any glints of a flutter of wings. The Gryffindors were in their usual V shaped pattern, Slytherins swerving around them attempting to break the formation.

I heard a zoom behind me, causing me to turn around. Draco was sat in right behind me, hovering on his broom as I was. "So concentrated Potter! Would be a shame if someone was to distract you." He smirked and I rolled my eyes in response, but I couldn't help the playful smile from making its way to my lips.

"Another score for Slytherin." Lee Jordan's voice boomed through the air as Ron missed yet another quaffle.

"Come on Ron." I muttered under my breath, ignoring Draco and focusing in searching for the snitch. The cheers grew louder, but they weren't normal, coming from the green side of the stadium. I listened closely, my ears straining above the roar of the wind.

"Weasley is our king! He lets the quaffle in!" The Slytherins spirited as Ron missed another goal. Focus Ron, I know you can do this. The cheers were affecting his playing, I realized that.

Ron looked up at me and I could see a frown crossing his face. I made a motion with my fingers, signalling a play and Ron nodded, this time, when the quaffle came forward, he honed in on it. Crouching on his broom, he struck his arm up, ready to hit and bat the quaffle away. The Gryffindor side cheered loudly at Ron's outstanding keeping skills.

I turned back from the playing and looked at Draco. He was looking at me with a small smirk. "Wha-" I started until I saw a snippet of a glittering gold in the south side of the stands. Before I could contemplate with Draco, I dove in aspiration to catch the snitch.

Draco honed in behind me, as he realized what I was doing. He followed quickly, as though he was the caboose of a train, never leaving my tail. The wind was muffling the cheers of the crowd as I dipped and dived and twirled, narrowly avoiding bludgers when I could.

One had hit me in the leg which sent me spiralling out of control into one of the stands.

The closer I got to the snitch, the more determined Draco seemed at knocking me off course. A few times, I had come out feeling like I'd been beat up. I'm pretty sure I looked the sight. And I'm positive that there was a cut on the side of my head, streaking blood down my face.

I ignored Draco as best as I could, I was right on the snitch's tail. I leaned out as far as I could on my broom, one hand stretched and fingers poised. I could feel the drifts of the fluttering from the wings of the snitch, I was that close.

The snitch took a sharp turn right, as did I, nearly sending me into another stand. Draco was coming at the snitch from the other side. Oh no he didn't. If I didn't hurry, Draco would end up catching the snitch and the Slytherins would win, adding to their damn pride and giving them something to gloat about.

I shifted myself into gear and crouched down on my broom, speeding up until I was flying at a roaring pace, the wind thrashing through my hair. My quidditch robes were madly flapping behind me, being pummelled by the whoosh of the air.

Once again, I was just in reach of the snitch. I crouched even further into position and raised my arm again. I was ready to strike. I must get the snitch. I will get the snitch. Yes I will. As I leaned further forward on my broom, a bludger hit the nose of it.