Nine - Small Advances

~ Hermione Granger ~

Two weeks have passed since Draco told me he was a Veela and that I am his mate. I wonder how his parents will react to that. Since I'm a muggle-born and all. It's not like it matters but they're one of the Wizarding families that used to believe in blood purity. Even though Mrs Malfoy is a Veela and Draco is Half-Veela. A little hypocritical if you ask me but whatever.

I sigh and finish the last of my Transfiguration essay. I grab my extremely worn by copy of Hogwarts: A History. I haven't read it in awhile and there's some time until dinner so why not. In awhile being probably a few days at most.

Draco mumbles something from his spot on his couch across the way from me. I look up at him with an arched brow. He's looking at me with no overbearing emotion on his face. It looks like he's staring off in to space.

"What's up?" I ask.

He snaps out of his day dream and smiles fondly at me.

"Nothing much. How many times have you read that book?" Draco asks with a small chuckle.

"More then I care to count" I reply, smiling back at him.

Draco chuckles slightly before smiling back at me, his eyes crinkling at the ends as he does. I resume reading, not seeing the point in continuing pointless small talk.

~~~~~~

"Hermione? Are you going to dinner?"

I look up from my book to see Draco standing near the exit of our dormitory. I nod and put my book down. I stand up and walk over to him.

"Yeah, let's go" I say with a smile.

Draco smiles down at me. He, probably not knowingly, grabs my hand and intertwines our fingers. A shot of electricity shoots up my body, one which I don't think twice about. I'm obviously going to feel good when Draco and I make physical contact because we are soulmates. I look up at him with an arched brow. He looks down at our hands and looks at me cautiously, waiting for me to say anything.

"It's fine" I say with a small sigh.

Draco smiles down at me before we leave our dormitory. As soon as we leave the Third Floor other students start to stare at us as if we both have three heads. Now rumors are going to go around for real.

But are they really rumors? Draco and I are mates so we are going to get together eventually. We'll have to have sex with each other before next year.

Draco and I arrive at the Great Hall, where everyone is looking at us. At our intertwined fingers. We silently part ways, both of us feeling the loss of being apart from one and other.

I sit down at the Gryffindor table next to Ginny and across from Harry and Ron. All three of them look both shocked and pissed off. If Ron opens his mouth so help me God. More like God help him.

"So what's going on with you and Malfoy?" Harry asks, sounding genuinely concerned.

"Nothing is going on between us Harry" I reply, obviously not convincing him.

"Then why were you two holding hands?" Ginny asks in place of her boyfriend.

"I...dunno" I reply with a sigh.

"Is he...uh...is he hurting you?" Harry asks.

"No! Of course he isn't" I exclaim, my eyes going wide.
"Okay, I just had to ask" Harry says quickly, raising his hands in surrender.

I nod my head.

"So.....are you two dating?" Ginny asks, seeming to be genuinely interested.

"Uh...it's complicated" I reply truthfully with a sigh.

"It's complicated? What does that mean?" Harry asks, confused.

"It means that our relationship is complicated. Can we just drop it?" I snap at him.

"Y-yeah" Harry mumbles.

The four of us fall in to an uneasy silence. What a great way to start dinner.