▪▫18▫▪

H A Y E S

I looked at myself in the mirror for the last time.

The gray sweater Will bought me when he went on a college trip fit me perfectly.

The dark tan jeans ended at the beginning of my normal wine vans.

The laces were dirty, a little ripped. The grip on the bottom of them was almost wore down and the colour was starting to fade.

It's Friday. The big night. The night were I go from a young lamb to a daring snake.

The sudden bost of confidence amused me but yet shocked me.

Tonight,

Tonight is the night I don't listen like the I normally should. I took the step into the deep end and decided not to heat the warning of my boyfriend. And ignore the glares of my hate filled brother.

I took one last breath before I finally moved from where I stood and slowly and nervously aimed for the front door.

The party was being held at Tyler Wisemans' house. He's a senior and is captain of the school's hockey team.

Not a lot of the school likes hockey but he's well known for being the troublemaker he is.

I've heard he hold a lot of party's, and everyone leaves with their fair share of gossip, hangovers and one night stands.

But I don't plan on staying long. My layout was to go and remind myself why I wasn't like other people. Why I never rebel against anyone. And to remind myself what I used to do four year's ago.

I walked out of my house, the cold air surrounding me. A small chill ran down my spin and I finally locked the door.

I began to walk down the street. The party isn't fair from my house, maybe a ten minute walk.

When I reached the neighborhood I could hear the muffled echoes of the music.

I licked my lips and breathed in sharply, this is what I was asking for.

I headed towards the music and three minutes later found myself standing in front of a house filled with drinking, dancing, sex and many other things.

The house was fairly large. I've never been in this neighborhood and didn't spend much time gocking at the other houses.

I entered the house quickly, only hoping no one noticed me or recognized me.

I walked through the croud of sweaty and drunk people. Thank god I wore a sweater.

It didn't take me very long to find the kitchen.

It welcomed me with a guy swallowing a girl on the counter top and liquor everywhere.

I quickly headed for the fridge and liked inside.

It was filled with beer and had one can of pop, Dr.pepper. I grabbed it and wondered around a little more.

Then the song 'Never Be Like You' began to play. It was Sammy' favorite song. He always said he wanted to die listening to that song, but he never did.

When I reached the living room where a lot of the partying was happening, I saw Aaron talking to Austin Mill's, one of the players on the basketball team.

I quickly ran up the stairs, managing not to drop my drink.

When I stepped on to the top of the stairs I started to grow light headed. The long and wide hallway was filled with people making out and people passed out.

I walked down the hall as my head began to pound. The end of the hall the was a door and I opened it.

To my surprise it lead to a larger balcony out the front of the house and showed the over veiw of the city.

I siged in relief and walked out on the balcony and closed the door behind myself.

The balcony was empty except for a girl I've never seen before.

She then turned around from the railing she was leaning against and looked me over.

"Can I have some" she finally spoke as she looked down. I followed the direction of her stare and met my not even opened pop.

"Yeah" I walked closer to her and handed it to her. She opened it and took a long drink of it.

She then handed it back to me and smiled. "I'm Billie" she introduced herself. "Hayes" I said simply.

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you here?" I grew curious. "For free drinks, why are you here?" she repeated.

"I don't know" I took a sip of the pop and look over at her.

"You don't seem like a partier" she chuckled. "I used to be but not anymore, my friend would drag me to parties" I looked out at the lit up city.

"Is he here?" I shook my head. "Then where is he?" I looked down at my hands and then back up. "A place better then this"

I don't expect her to understand what I meant, and frankly, I hope she doesn't.

"You look disappointed" she moved closer to me. "Because I am" I mumbled. Then there was a pause.

"How close are you and you're friend?" I swallowed. "Close. Really close. He was like my older brother" I smiled as if I was reassuring her but mainly smiling for myself.

"Do you two still talk?" I shook my head. "Well do you want to?" "everyday I do" I drank the rest of the pop whitch was only a few drops.

"Talk to him" she finally said.

I debated on weather or not I should tell her the truth. But Im guess she has the right to know, she's so concerned.

"I can't,...he's dead" I quietly. She didn't say anything.

She then put her hand on my shoulder and pulled me into a well needed hug.

And there I stood, holding the girl with the fake name in a place where I don't belong or shouldn't have stumbled upon.

I thought coming to the party would be like saying I love you or goodbye but I couldn't bring myself to accept it in that way.

So I awkwardly held this girl I'll never meet again and felt a tear or two slid down my cold cheeks.

Oddly enough, I needed this.

▪ ▫ ▪ ▫