▪▫32▫▪

3 R D  P E R S O N

Hayes was in tears by the time Aaron got to the river bed. Aaron quickly ran over to Hayes and checked him all over to see if he was hurt.

"Hayes what's wrong?" Aaron sat down beside him on the dock and pulled him on to his lap.

Hayes didn't say anything. He didn't want too, he wasn't ready too.

Aaron just held Hayes as he cried. Rubbing circles on his back as he slowly rocked him.

It wasn't until Hayes had stopped crying and Aaron held him for almost an hour when he broke the silence.

"Hayes?" The younger boy only looked up at him. "Why were crying in the washroom last year" Aaron asked.

He's wanted to ask that ever since he found Hayes in the bathroom that same day, but he could never bring himself to ask till now.

Hayes looked down at his hand's and then out at the water.

"Because of Sammy Wilk" he mumbled. "Sammy Wilk?" "My best friend" Hayes confirmed.

He took a deep breath before he began explaining.

"When Sammy was a kid, only twelve or thirteen, his parents started to grow apart. He become distant with me but he was still there"

Hayes took a deep breath. He felt the pain in his chest when you know you're gonna cry.

"H-His parents got a divorce. He couldn't believe it. H-He didn't want too..." Tears welled up in Hayes' eye's.

"T-The same night his parents signed the divorce papers he texted me, only s-saying sorry" Tears ran down Hayes' face but he kept his voice steady.

"He packed a bag and came here. He stole a rope from his dad's tool's. I went to his house and his mom only said that he went too the river bed"

Aaron looked over at the rope on the tree, waiting for Hayes to say something.

"I ran here and w-when I-I got h-here. He hung himself from the t-tree. B-But the rope couldn't hold his weight and he fell into the water. I-I jumped in t-to save him but i-it was too late, but I-I still tried. When I-I got him out I called 911 and w-waited for them to get there. But it was too late..."

Aaron had tears in his eyes as Hayes explained. He held Hayes tightly.

"They tried everything they could but he was gone. H-His parents came and h-his mom fell her knees when she saw him i-in the body bag. Two police officers had to hold me to keep me away from him. I-I could have saved him..." Hayes then started sobbing.

Aaron kissed the top of his head "You did everything you could Hayes, there was nothing more you could do" Aaron kissed his forehead.

"But-" "Hayes Grier, you did everything you could and nothing less" He cut Hayes off. Hayes only nodded.

Aaron leaned down and kissed him and Hayes kissed back.

"Let's go home" Hayes only nodded. Aaron gave him a piggy back ride home and Hayes fell asleep.

The last thing he thought of was Sammy.

▪▫▪▫