Chapter Twenty Three: Finally

Camila's POV

(A/N Trigger warning. You'd be notified where to proceed with caution.)

Distance was all that matter. I wasn't planning on stopping for anything until my legs decided to give out on me. I sure as hell wasn't going to stop because of the rain that was blurring my vision. I needed to be away from her. I started feeling as though I was suffocating being so near her. I didn't dare look back at her because I knew if I only did that, I would stop dead in my tracks and go back to her. I needed her like the air that I breathe.

I wanted her with every fibre of my being but I knew she didn't want me. Why would she? I wasn't anything special. And she deserved so much more than me...than a broken girl. She deserved to be with someone who made her happy, someone who didn't complicate her life. And that was all I've ever done since she met me.

I had let my guard down and I messed up. I shouldn't have kissed her. I shouldn't have told her I loved her. But why did it feel so right? I missed having her lips against mine. I missed feeling the warmth of her body and I missed having her hands tracing my curves.

I missed her.

I missed the Lauren who looked at me as though I placed the stars and moon in the sky just for her. The Lauren who made me feel that I could conquer the world if I wanted to. But most importantly, I missed my Lauren; the Lauren who loved me.

She was my sweet serendipity.

I wasn't looking for her. I wasn't expecting her, but I thanked the heavens every day for placing her in my life. It was as though she only existed for me and I for her. I didn't need to fall in love or need someone. I really didn't want anything besides to not exist anymore. But then she came into my life like a whirlwind, and I started wanting everything.

We could have pretended to be friends as long as we thought we wanted to, but in my heart, I knew that we didn't meet to just be friends. And as much as I hated myself for ruining her life, she made mine better.

After running for about 10 minutes, I came to the bus station. I didn't know where my legs were taking me, but getting on a bus meant putting more distance between the woman who still held my fragile heart and that was what I wanted. So I bought a ticket with what little pocket change I had. My purse was back at Lauren's and I was grateful to have enough money to buy a ticket away from my broken heart, even if it was just a few hours away. It was heading to Boston, Massachusetts; almost a four hour ride.

The last bus for the night was already there and was about to close its doors but I yelled for the driver to wait, which he did, reluctantly. He snatched the ticket out of my hand quickly. And grunted something about taking a seat. I scanned my eyes over the bus and it was practically empty.

At the front of the bus sat a kid, I took the seat behind him and his mother that didn't seem that much older than me. He would occasionally peek through the space between his and his mother's seat to look at me. He would smile every time he did it but I didn't return the gesture; too caught up in my own little world. He had an aura of innocence around him, but aren't all kids innocent? He didn't know; well I hoped he didn't have to be thrust into the shittiness of the world at such a young age, like I was when I was a kid.

Twenty minutes or so had passed, he stopped peeking at me and found interest in wiping the condensation from the window beside him. I sighed, leaning my head against the window; I shut my eyes tightly to stop my tears from falling, ignoring the chattering of my teeth. I was freezing and I had my rain drenched clothing to blame for that. But it wasn't something I was unaccustomed to.

I managed to drift off to sleep for a while but when I woke up, the bus was almost empty besides for this one girl who seemed to be my age.